How to Learn Singing “99” by Toto
If you’re a fan of classic rock, there’s a good chance you’ve heard of the band Toto and their iconic song “99”. Learning to sing this song can be a fun and rewarding experience. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of learning the song, highlight the unique vocal technique used in “99”, and provide practical advice along with relevant Singing Carrots resources to help you master it.
The Vocal Technique in “99”
One of the standout features of “99” is the use of a vocal technique called “belting”. Belting is a powerful singing technique that involves using the chest voice to create strong and resonant high notes. It adds intensity and emotion to the song, giving it a distinct and energetic sound.
The technique of belting is not only employed in “99” but also in many other popular songs. Some notable examples include “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi, “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston, and “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele. Learning to belt will not only allow you to sing “99” effectively but will also give you the skills to tackle a wide range of songs across various genres.
Practical Advice for Learning “99”
Here are some practical steps you can follow to learn how to sing “99” effectively:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, take some time to analyze your own voice. Singing Carrots provides a helpful article on how to analyze your voice which can assist you in understanding your vocal range, timbre, and strengths.
- Warm-up Your Voice: Proper warm-up exercises are crucial for preparing your voice and preventing strain or injury. Singing Carrots offers a Pitch Training module, which includes vocal warm-ups and exercises to improve your range and agility.
- Focus on Breath Control: One of the key aspects of belting is having good breath control. Singing Carrots has an informative article on breath support which can help you develop proper breathing techniques.
- Practice Resonance: To achieve a powerful and resonant sound, it’s essential to work on your resonance. Singing Carrots offers resources on resonance in singing that can guide you in finding the optimal placement and resonance for high notes.
- Learn from Vocal Technique Videos: Singing Carrots provides a series of videos on various vocal techniques. For belting specifically, you can watch the Mixed Voice video and the Contemporary Vocal Techniques article to gain a deeper understanding and acquire the necessary skills.
- Practice with Vocal Range Test: Use the Singing Carrots Vocal Range Test to determine your range and compare it to popular singers who excel at belting, such as Steve Perry of Journey or Adele. This will help you identify the parts of the song that suit your voice best.
- Sing Along with the Original Recording: Once you feel comfortable with the technique and have practiced the song on your own, try singing along with the original recording of “99” by Toto. Pay close attention to the nuances and phrasing of the vocals while maintaining your own unique interpretation.
- Monitor Your Progress: Singing Carrots provides a progress statistics feature that allows you to track your improvement over time. Make use of this tool to stay motivated and see how far you’ve come on your journey to mastering “99”.
By following these steps and utilizing the resources provided by Singing Carrots, you’ll be well on your way to learning and singing “99” with confidence and skill. Enjoy the process and let your inner rock star shine!