How to Learn Singing “A Whole New World” from Aladdin
Singing a song from a beloved Disney movie like Aladdin can be a magical experience. “A Whole New World,” sung by Aladdin and Jasmine, is a beautiful duet that captures the wonder and excitement of discovering something new.
To learn how to sing “A Whole New World” effectively, it’s important to focus on mastering the unique vocal technique used in the song. This song requires a smooth and controlled vocal delivery, with an emphasis on breath control, pitch accuracy, and vocal range.
Vocal Technique: Embracing the Magic of Belting
The unique vocal technique showcased in “A Whole New World” is belting. Belting is a powerful singing technique that allows you to project your voice and hit high notes with strength and clarity.
In “A Whole New World,” the characters Aladdin and Jasmine use belting to convey the sense of soaring through the skies and embarking on a thrilling adventure. The chorus of the song, in particular, features powerful belted notes that require good breath support and control.
Belting is not only used in “A Whole New World,” but it’s also a popular technique in other iconic songs from musicals and pop music. Songs like “Defying Gravity” from Wicked and “Don’t Stop Believin'” by Journey also showcase belting.
Practical Tips for Learning “A Whole New World”
Here are some practical tips to help you learn and sing “A Whole New World” with confidence:
- Warm up your voice using vocal warm-up exercises, such as the ones provided in the Singing Carrots Pitch Training tool (Pitch Training – Educational Singing Game).
- Practice proper breathing techniques to ensure good breath control while singing. The article on breath support on Singing Carrots can provide you with valuable insights.
- Focus on pitch accuracy by using the Singing Carrots Pitch Accuracy Test (Pitch Accuracy Test) to assess and improve your pitch.
- Use the Singing Carrots Vocal Range Test (Vocal range test) to determine your vocal range and make any necessary adjustments to match the song.
- Carefully analyze the song’s lyrics and melody to understand the emotional journey and story being told. Singing Carrots provides helpful articles like How to analyze your voice that can enhance your understanding of the song.
- Record yourself singing and listen back to identify areas that need improvement. Singing Carrots offers a Vocal Pitch Monitor tool (Vocal Pitch Monitor) that visualizes your sung notes on a virtual piano, helping you track your progress.
Resources for Further Learning
For more in-depth guidance and knowledge about singing, make sure to explore the Singing Carrots blog articles and video exercises:
- How to learn a song effectively
- Pop/Jazz vs Classical singing
- Contemporary vocal techniques: Heavy modal, Twang, Belting
- Vocal distortion & Growling
- Video exercises for vocal techniques like twang, growling, vibrato, and more from the Singing Carrots Educational Singing Course
Remember, singing is about expressing yourself and enjoying the experience. Have fun as you learn to sing “A Whole New World” and embark on your own magical journey of musical discovery!