Learning to Sing “Amazing Grace” by Chris Tomlin
If you’re an aspiring singer and a fan of Chris Tomlin, learning to sing “Amazing Grace” is a great way to develop your vocal skills and connect with this timeless hymn. In this article, we’ll explore the unique vocal techniques used in the song and provide practical advice on how to learn and master it.
The Unique Vocal Technique: Belting
One of the standout features of Chris Tomlin’s rendition of “Amazing Grace” is his use of belting. Belting is a powerful vocal technique that allows a singer to project their voice and create a full, resonant sound. In this song, belting is used to infuse passion and intensity into the performance.
If you’re new to belting, it’s important to approach it with care to avoid straining your vocal cords. Singing Carrots offers a video tutorial on mixed voice, which will help you understand the right technique to transition smoothly between your chest voice and head voice, enabling you to belt comfortably without unnecessary strain.
Learning “Amazing Grace” Step-by-Step
Here are some practical steps to help you learn and master “Amazing Grace”:
- Start by understanding your vocal range using the Vocal range test offered by Singing Carrots. This will help you identify the most suitable key for your voice in which to sing the song.
- Listen to Chris Tomlin’s version of “Amazing Grace” multiple times to familiarize yourself with the melody, phrasing, and dynamics. Pay attention to how he uses different vocal techniques to express the emotions of the song.
- Practice the song’s melody and lyrics separately. Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training program can help you develop your pitch accuracy by providing interactive exercises and visualizations.
- Work on your breath control and support. Proper breath support is essential for singing well. Singing Carrots offers valuable resources on breath support and breathing basics, which will help you maintain stability and control throughout the song.
- Pay attention to diction and articulation. Singing Carrots’ article on articulation provides practical tips on how to pronounce words clearly and effectively convey the song’s message.
- Use the Vocal Pitch Monitor tool to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano and ensure accuracy.
- Record yourself singing the song and listen critically to identify areas for improvement. Singing Carrots’ article on voice analysis can guide you in analyzing your own performance.
- Practice consistently and regularly. Singing Carrots’ educational singing course provides a comprehensive 21-lesson program that covers singing theory and practical tips, helping you build a strong foundation and improve your overall singing skills.
Links to Relevant Singing Carrots Resources
- Vocal range test – Determine your vocal range for accurate song selection.
- How to analyze your voice – Learn how to analyze and improve your singing voice.
- Articulation – Tips on clear pronunciation and conveying the song’s message effectively.
- Breath support – Master proper breath control and support to enhance your singing.