How to Learn Singing “Cars” by Gary Numan
In this article, we will guide you through the process of learning how to sing the iconic song “Cars” by Gary Numan. We’ll highlight the unique vocal technique used in the song, provide practical advice, and mention other popular songs that feature similar vocal techniques.
Understanding the Song and its Vocal Technique
“Cars” is a synth-pop classic released by Gary Numan in 1979. It prominently features a vocal technique known as “heavy modal” or “dirty chest voice.” This technique involves singing with a heavier and more aggressive sound, emphasizing the lower range of your voice. It adds a distinct and edgy quality to the song.
This vocal technique gives “Cars” its iconic sound, creating a contrast between the synth-driven music and Numan’s powerful and gritty vocal delivery. It’s a style often associated with new wave music of the late ’70s and early ’80s.
Practical Tips for Learning “Cars”
To learn how to sing “Cars” effectively, follow these practical tips:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before you start singing, it’s crucial to understand your voice and its capabilities. Take the vocal range test on Singing Carrots to determine your vocal range and identify areas that need improvement.
- Work on Breath Support: Since heavy modal singing requires a lot of power, focus on developing strong breath support. Check out the article on breath support for valuable exercises and techniques to enhance your breath control.
- Master Vocal Registers: Understanding your vocal registers and how to transition smoothly between them is essential for singing “Cars.” Dive into the article on voice registers and vocal break to learn about different registers and exercises to strengthen them.
- Open Mouth and Throat: To nail Numan’s signature sound in “Cars,” focus on proper mouth and throat posture. The article on open mouth and throat will provide you with helpful insights and exercises.
Resources for Learning
Here are some resources on Singing Carrots that can further assist you in learning and practicing “Cars”:
- Pitch Accuracy Test: Use the pitch accuracy test to evaluate and improve your pitch accuracy, an essential skill for singing “Cars.”
- Vocal Pitch Monitor: The vocal pitch monitor tool allows you to visualize and analyze your sung notes on a virtual piano, helping you stay on pitch.
- Pitch Training: Explore the pitch training section on Singing Carrots for interactive vocal warm-ups, pitch visualization, and exercises to improve your range and agility.
- Search for Similar Songs: If you enjoy the unique vocal technique in “Cars,” you may want to find other songs that feature it. Use the song search tool to discover songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preference.
- Explore Artist Vocal Ranges: If you’re curious about vocal ranges, you can explore the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers on Singing Carrots. Visit the artist vocal ranges section to discover more.
Learning how to sing “Cars” by Gary Numan requires mastering the unique vocal technique known as heavy modal or dirty chest voice. By analyzing your voice, working on breath support, and understanding vocal registers,