How to Sing Ella Fitzgerald’s “Cheek to Cheek”
Ella Fitzgerald’s rendition of “Cheek to Cheek” is a classic jazz standard known for its smooth and elegant vocal style. Learning to sing this iconic song requires a combination of technique, musicality, and an understanding of the unique vocal characteristics that define Fitzgerald’s performance.
Understanding the Song
“Cheek to Cheek” was originally written by Irving Berlin and was featured in the 1935 film “Top Hat.” Fitzgerald’s interpretation of the song embodies the essence of jazz singing with her impeccable phrasing, precise intonation, and exceptional control of dynamics.
Developing the Vocal Technique
To sing “Cheek to Cheek” effectively, it’s important to focus on the following aspects of vocal technique:
1. Breathing Control and Support
Begin by mastering the fundamentals of breathing for singing. Singing Carrots offers a helpful article on breathing basics that can guide you in developing proper breath control and support.
2. Articulation and Diction
To deliver the lyrics of “Cheek to Cheek” with clarity and precision, pay attention to your articulation and diction. Check out Singing Carrots’ article on articulation for tips and exercises that can help you improve in this area.
3. Interpretation and Musicality
Ella Fitzgerald’s interpretation of the song is what truly sets her version apart. Develop your own sense of musicality and personal expression by exploring Singing Carrots’ article on singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking.
Practical Advice and Singing Carrots Resources
Here are some practical tips and Singing Carrots resources to help you learn and master “Cheek to Cheek”:
- Start by assessing your vocal range with the Singing Carrots Vocal Range Test.
- Work on improving your pitch accuracy with the Singing Carrots Pitch Accuracy Test.
- Use the Singing Carrots Vocal Pitch Monitor to visualize and analyze your sung notes on a virtual piano.
- For vocal warm-ups and exercises to enhance your pitch, range, and agility, explore the Singing Carrots Pitch Training program.
- Search for songs that match your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preference using the Singing Carrots Song Search feature.
- Refer to Singing Carrots’ database of vocal ranges of famous singers, including Ella Fitzgerald, to gain insights and inspiration. Explore the Artist Vocal Ranges section.
- Create your performance set for “Cheek to Cheek” using the Singing Carrots Songbook feature, which provides lyrics, sheet music, chords, karaoke tracks, and YouTube audio links.
- Monitor your singing progress and analyze your improvement with the Singing Carrots Progress Statistics feature.
- If you’re new to singing or want to deepen your understanding of singing theory and technique, consider enrolling in the Singing Carrots Educational Singing Course.
By combining the technical aspects of singing, the unique vocal characteristics of Ella Fitzgerald’s rendition, and the resources provided by Singing Carrots, you’ll be well on your way to mastering “Cheek to Cheek.”