How to Learn Singing “Cheerleader” by Omi
Learning to sing a particular song can be an exciting and fulfilling experience. In this article, we will guide you on how to learn singing “Cheerleader” by Omi, specifically the Felix Jaehn Remix version. This catchy, upbeat song features a unique vocal technique and has been popularized by its infectious melody and catchy lyrics.
Understanding the Song
“Cheerleader” is a song that combines elements of reggae and pop music. The song showcases the use of a technique known as vocal twang, which gives it a distinct and vibrant sound. Vocal twang involves narrowing the vocal tract, resulting in a bright and slightly nasal tone. It adds intensity and projection to the vocals, making them stand out in the mix.
This vocal technique can also be found in other popular songs, such as “Roar” by Katy Perry and “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele. Learning to sing “Cheerleader” will not only improve your vocal technique but also provide a solid foundation for singing other songs that utilize twang.
Here are some practical tips to help you learn and master “Cheerleader” by Omi:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before getting started, take some time to analyze your vocal range and voice type. Singing Carrots offers a vocal range test that can help you determine your range and compare it with famous singers.
- Breathing and Breath Support: Good breath control is essential for singing any song. Practice the breathing exercises and learn proper breath support to ensure a steady flow of air while singing.
- Pitch Accuracy: Singing “Cheerleader” requires precise pitch control. Take the pitch accuracy test to assess and improve your pitch accuracy.
- Vocal Warm-ups: Warm up your voice before attempting to sing the song. Singing Carrots provides a variety of pitch training exercises and warm-ups to improve your range and agility.
- Practice with Vocal Pitch Monitor: Use the vocal pitch monitor tool to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This will help you identify any inconsistencies and make necessary adjustments.
- Study the Song Structure: Break down the song into sections, such as verses, choruses, and bridges. Practice each section separately before putting them together.
- Emphasize Twang: Pay attention to the twangy quality in the vocals of “Cheerleader.” Practice narrowing your vocal tract slightly to achieve this sound. Singing Carrots offers a helpful twang exercise video that you can use to improve this technique.
- Articulation: Focus on clear articulation of the lyrics in “Cheerleader.” Practice enunciating each word using exercises like the finger bite exercise to improve your diction.
- Listen and Sing Along: Listen to the original song multiple times and sing along to familiarize yourself with the melody, rhythm, and phrasing. This will help you internalize the song and develop your own interpretation.
Singing Carrots Resources
To assist you further in learning and practicing “Cheerleader” by Omi, Singing Carrots provides various resources:
- Song Search: Find songs matching your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preference.
- Vocal ranges of famous singers: Explore the vocal ranges of famous singers for inspiration and comparison.
- Educational singing course: Enroll in an educational singing course to further improve your singing skills.