How to Learn Singing “Come Down From the Tree” from “Once On This Island”
In this article, we will guide you on how to learn singing “Come Down From the Tree,” a beautiful song from the musical “Once On This Island.” This song showcases unique vocal techniques that require control, emotion, and a good understanding of the story behind the song.
The Unique Vocal Technique:
“Come Down From the Tree” is a powerful song that requires a blend of chest voice and head voice. It showcases the skill of transitioning between different voice registers, creating a beautiful melodic contrast. This technique, known as mix voice or the voice blend, can also be heard in other popular songs like “Defying Gravity” from the musical “Wicked” and “All That Jazz” from the musical “Chicago.”
Steps to Learn the Song:
- Listen to the Original Recording: Begin by listening to the original recording of “Come Down From the Tree” to familiarize yourself with the melody, rhythm, and overall feel of the song. This will help you understand the emotional context and vocal nuances.
- Study the Lyrics: Dive deep into the lyrics of the song and try to understand the story it tells. Connect with the emotions portrayed in the lyrics, as this will enhance your performance.
- Practice Vocal Warm-ups: Before attempting to sing the song, warm up your voice with vocal exercises. Singing Carrots offers a useful Pitch Training tool that can help you warm up your vocal range and improve pitch accuracy.
- Master the Vocal Technique: Pay close attention to the vocal technique used in “Come Down From the Tree.” Practice transitioning between chest voice and head voice smoothly. Singing Carrots provides various articles and videos that can help you improve your vocal technique, such as chest voice exercises and voice register explanations.
- Utilize Singing Carrots Resources: Singing Carrots offers a range of resources that can aid your learning process. Use the Vocal Range Test to determine your vocal range and compare it with famous singers. Additionally, the Song Search tool can help you find other songs that match your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preferences.
- Record Your Practice: Record yourself singing the song and listen back to identify areas that need improvement. This will help you refine your technique and make necessary adjustments to enhance your performance.
Learning to sing “Come Down From the Tree” requires dedication, practice, and an understanding of the song’s unique vocal technique. By following the steps outlined in this article and utilizing the resources provided by Singing Carrots, you can enhance your singing skills and deliver a captivating performance. Remember to connect with the emotions of the song and showcase your own authentic voice.