How to Learn Singing “Dentist!” from Little Shop of Horrors
If you’re a fan of musicals and looking to learn a fun and quirky song, “Dentist!” from the iconic musical “Little Shop of Horrors” is a great choice. This song is known for its energetic and comedic performance, making it a favorite among singers. In this article, we will guide you on how to learn and master “Dentist!” while highlighting the unique vocal technique used in the song.
The Unique Vocal Technique: Twang
In “Dentist!” the main vocal technique that stands out is Twang. Twang is a vocal quality that adds brightness, intensity, and focus to the sound. It is commonly used in musical theater and pop singing to achieve a powerful and piercing tone that cuts through the music.
To incorporate Twang in your singing for “Dentist!”, we recommend the How to Twang Exercise from Singing Carrots. This exercise will help you understand and develop the necessary coordination and muscle control to produce the desired twangy sound.
Practical Tips for Learning “Dentist!”
Here are some practical tips to help you learn and perform “Dentist!” effectively:
- Listen and study the original recording: Familiarize yourself with the song by listening to the original cast recording or the movie soundtrack. Pay attention to the nuances in the vocal performance, character portrayal, and the overall energy of the song.
- Study the lyrics: Understanding the lyrics is crucial for delivering a convincing performance. Dive deep into the character’s motivations and emotions portrayed in the song. Singing Carrots’ educational singing course can help you develop your interpretation skills.
- Work on vocal technique: As mentioned earlier, incorporating Twang is key to singing “Dentist!” effectively. Practice the “How to Twang Exercise” to strengthen your Twang technique and ensure a powerful, vibrant sound.
- Use the Vocal Pitch Monitor: Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor is a useful tool to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This can help you stay on pitch and refine your performance.
- Practice with the Vocal Range Test: Before diving into singing “Dentist!”, determine your vocal range using Singing Carrots’ Vocal Range Test. This will help you identify the appropriate key or vocal part for your comfort and range.
- Refer to other popular songs: “Dentist!” showcases a unique vocal technique, but similar vocal qualities and techniques can be found in other popular musical theater songs like “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from “Hairspray” and “Defying Gravity” from “Wicked”. Studying these songs can provide additional references and inspiration for your vocal approach.
By following these tips and utilizing the Singing Carrots resources, you’ll be well-equipped to learn and master “Dentist!” from Little Shop of Horrors. Enjoy the process and have fun with your performance!