How to Learn Singing Nirvana’s “Drain You”
If you’re a fan of Nirvana and want to learn how to sing their iconic song “Drain You,” you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will break down the unique vocal technique used in the song and provide practical advice on how to learn and master it. We’ll also recommend a range of Singing Carrots resources that can help you along the way.
The Unique Vocal Technique: Belting
“Drain You” is known for its intense and powerful vocal performance, which involves a technique called belting. Belting is a singing style where the singer uses a mix of chest voice and head voice to produce a robust and resonant sound. It is commonly used in rock songs to create a raw and dynamic vocal expression.
Belting requires good breath control and support, as well as the ability to maintain a relaxed and open throat. It’s important to note that belting should be done safely and without straining the vocal cords. Proper warm-ups and vocal exercises are key to developing the necessary strength and control for belting.
Practical Steps to Learn “Drain You”
Here are some practical steps you can take to learn and sing “Drain You” effectively:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into learning the song, it’s important to analyze your voice and understand your vocal range. Singing Carrots offers a Vocal Range Test that can help you determine your range and compare it with famous singers.
- Master the Lyrics: Start by thoroughly familiarizing yourself with the lyrics of “Drain You.” Singing Carrots provides a song search feature that can help you find the lyrics of the song.
- Warm-up: Proper warm-up exercises are essential to prepare your voice for singing. Singing Carrots offers a Pitch Training program that includes vocal warm-ups and exercises specifically designed to improve range and agility.
- Practice Belting Technique: Focus on developing your belting technique. Singing Carrots provides valuable resources and exercises, such as How to Twang Exercise and Beggars Bounce for Vibrato, that can help you strengthen your voice and improve your belting skills.
- Record and Evaluate: Record yourself singing “Drain You” and listen back to evaluate your performance. Pay attention to areas where you can improve and work on those specific sections.
- Seek Professional Guidance: If you’re serious about mastering “Drain You” or any other song, consider enrolling in an educational singing course. Singing Carrots offers a comprehensive singing course that covers vocal theory and provides practical tips for singing.
Other Songs with Similar Belting Technique
The belting technique used in “Drain You” is quite common in the rock genre. Here are some other popular songs where you can find a similar vocal style:
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana
- “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi
- “Don’t Stop Believin'” by Journey
Listening to and studying these songs can give you further insights into the application of the belting technique.
Remember, learning a song takes time and practice. Enjoy the journey and have fun exploring your vocal abilities. With the right resources and perseverance, you’ll be able to sing “Drain You” with confidence and passion!