How to Learn “Fallin'” by Alicia Keys
Learn how to sing Alicia Keys’ hit song “Fallin'” with this step-by-step guide.
“Fallin'” is a soulful R&B song by Alicia Keys, known for its powerful vocals and emotional delivery. Learning to sing this song will not only help you develop your vocal technique but also allow you to express your emotions through music.
Vocal Technique in “Fallin'”
One of the unique vocal techniques used in “Fallin'” is the use of belting. Belting is a powerful singing technique where the singer uses their chest voice to produce strong, resonant, and high-pitched notes. Alicia Keys showcases her impressive belting technique in the chorus of “Fallin'”.
Steps to Learn “Fallin'”
- Analyze Your Voice: Before you start learning the song, it’s important to understand your vocal range and voice type. Take the Vocal Range Test on Singing Carrots to determine your vocal range and compare it with famous singers.
- Warm Up and Practice: Begin your singing session with a proper warm-up routine. Focus on exercises that improve your breath support and vocal control. Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training tool can help you with interactive warm-ups and exercises specifically designed to improve your vocal technique.
- Study the Song: Listen to the song multiple times to familiarize yourself with the melody, lyrics, and overall structure. Pay attention to Alicia Keys’ vocal delivery and emotional expression.
- Break Down the Sections: Divide the song into smaller sections and practice each section separately. Start with the verses, then move on to the pre-chorus, chorus, and bridge. Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor can be a helpful tool to visualize sung notes on a virtual piano and ensure accuracy.
- Focus on Belting: Emphasize the belting technique in the chorus of “Fallin'”. Practice sustaining the high notes with power and control, making sure to support your voice with proper breath control. Singing Carrots’ article on contemporary vocal techniques can provide further insights into belting.
- Record Yourself: Use a recording device or Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor to record yourself singing the song. Listen back to identify areas that need improvement and work on refining your performance.
- Performance Tips: Once you feel confident with the song, focus on your stage presence and connection with the audience. Singing Carrots’ article on overcoming stage fright and tips for performing on stage can provide valuable advice in this regard.
Other Songs with Similar Vocal Technique
The belting technique showcased in “Fallin'” is also used in other popular songs. Here are a few examples:
By following these steps and incorporating Singing Carrots’ resources, you can learn to sing “Fallin'” by Alicia Keys and enhance your overall vocal technique.