How to Learn Singing “Feel the Pain” by Dinosaur Jr.
Learning to sing a particular song can be a fun and rewarding experience for any vocalist. In this article, we will explore how to learn singing “Feel the Pain” by Dinosaur Jr., a popular alternative rock song released in 1994.
Unique Vocal Technique: Distortion and Belting
One of the distinctive features of “Feel the Pain” is the use of vocal distortion and belting. The song showcases a raw and gritty vocal style that enhances the intensity of the lyrics and musical arrangement. This technique gives the song its signature sound and adds an edge to the vocal performance.
The use of distortion requires proper breath support and control. It is important to maintain good vocal health and avoid straining the voice. Singing with distortion should be approached with caution and practiced gradually to prevent vocal damage.
Popular Songs with Similar Vocal Technique
The vocal technique used in “Feel the Pain” can also be found in other popular songs. Some examples include:
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana
- “Cochise” by Audioslave
- “Ace of Spades” by Motörhead
Studying these songs can help you understand and master the unique vocal technique used in “Feel the Pain.”
Practical Steps to Learn the Song
Here are practical steps to help you learn and master “Feel the Pain”:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, it’s important to analyze your vocal range and voice type. Take the Vocal Range Test on Singing Carrots to identify your vocal range and determine the best key to sing the song in.
- Warm Up: Engage in a proper warm-up routine to prepare your voice for singing. Singing Carrots offers a Pitch Training module with interactive vocal warm-ups and exercises to improve your range and agility.
- Listen and Immerse: Listen to the original recording of “Feel the Pain” multiple times to familiarize yourself with the song’s melody, lyrics, and overall structure. Immerse yourself in the energy and emotion of the song.
- Break It Down: Divide the song into smaller sections and work on them individually. Focus on the vocal techniques used in each section, paying attention to the phrasing, vocal dynamics, and timing.
- Practice with Vocal Pitch Monitor: Utilize the Vocal Pitch Monitor tool on Singing Carrots to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This can help you improve your pitch accuracy and ensure you are hitting the right notes.
- Work on Distortion: Practice vocal distortion exercises to develop control and execute the gritty sound required for “Feel the Pain.” Singing Carrots provides instructional videos on techniques like Growling and Vocal Distortion which can be helpful in mastering this technique.
- Record and Evaluate: Record yourself singing the song and listen back to identify areas for improvement. Pay attention to your tone, enunciation, and overall performance. Take note of any specific sections that need additional practice.
- Polish Your Performance: Once you are comfortable with the song, focus on adding your own interpretation and emotional expression. Experiment with dynamics, vocal nuances, and personal touches to make the performance your own.
Singing Carrots offers a range of resources and tools to support your singing journey. Here are some resources that can be helpful in learning and improving your singing abilities: