How to Learn Singing “For the First Time in Forever” from Frozen
Learning to sing a song requires practice and understanding of the unique techniques used in the song. In this article, we will explore how to learn singing “For the First Time in Forever” from the Disney movie Frozen. This song is a duet between Anna and Elsa and features some distinct vocal techniques that make it fun and challenging to sing.
Understanding the Song
“For the First Time in Forever” is an upbeat and energetic song that captures the excitement of Anna’s newfound freedom and Elsa’s secret desire for social interaction. It showcases the characters’ contrasting personalities and their journey through self-discovery and sisterly love.
Vocal Technique: Belting
One of the unique vocal techniques used in this song is belting. Belting involves using a powerful and resonant sound in the higher range of your voice. It adds intensity and emotion to the performance. In “For the First Time in Forever,” both Anna and Elsa belt out certain lines to express their emotions and convey the sense of liberation they feel.
To achieve a strong belt, it is important to have good breath support and control. Singing Carrots offers a helpful article on breath support and exercises to improve this skill. Practicing these exercises can help you develop the necessary control and stamina for belting.
Learning the Song
To learn the song effectively, it is important to follow a systematic approach. Here are some steps you can take:
- Listen and Analyze: Start by listening to the original version of the song. Pay attention to the melody, lyrics, and overall structure. Singing Carrots offers a helpful article on how to analyze your voice, which can guide you in understanding the song better.
- Warm-up and Vocal Exercises: Before diving into singing the song, warm up your voice with vocal exercises. Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training tool can help you warm up and improve your pitch accuracy. You can also use their Vocal Pitch Monitor to see your sung notes on a virtual piano and ensure you are hitting the right pitches.
- Break it Down: Divide the song into smaller sections and practice each section separately. This will help you focus on specific melodies and lyrics. Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training tool provides exercises for range and agility, which can be beneficial for mastering the challenging parts of the song.
- Emphasize Emotion: “For the First Time in Forever” is an emotional song, and conveying the right emotions is crucial. Singing Carrots offers an insightful article on singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking that can guide you in expressing the emotions effectively.
- Practice Regularly: Consistency is key when learning any song. Set aside dedicated practice time and use Singing Carrots’ progress statistics to keep track of your improvement. This will motivate you to continue practicing and refining your singing skills.
The belting technique used in “For the First Time in Forever” can also be found in other popular songs. Here are a few examples:
- “Let It Go” from Frozen – This is another iconic song from the movie Frozen and showcases Elsa’s powerful belting technique.
- “Defying Gravity” from Wicked – This Broadway hit requires strong belting skills, and it has become an anthem for many performers.