How to Learn Singing “Gods and Monsters” by Lana Del Rey
Learning to sing a particular song requires dedication and practice, especially when it comes to tackling a unique vocal technique like the one used in “Gods and Monsters” by Lana Del Rey. In this article, we will explore the distinctive style of this song, provide practical advice for mastering it, and suggest relevant Singing Carrots resources to assist you in your learning journey.
The Unique Vocal Technique in “Gods and Monsters”
“Gods and Monsters” showcases Lana Del Rey’s signature sultry and haunting vocal style. To truly capture the essence of this song, you need to focus on the following vocal techniques:
- Vocal Timbre: Lana Del Rey’s voice is known for its distinct timbre, which is characterized by a warm, low-register tone with a hint of breathiness. Practice lowering your larynx and relaxing your throat muscles to achieve a deeper and smoother vocal quality.
- Emotional Delivery: “Gods and Monsters” demands an emotive performance. Connect with the lyrics and evoke the desired mood by understanding the song’s storyline and lyrics. Experiment with phrasing, dynamics, and subtle vocal nuances to convey the intended emotions.
- Subtle Vibrato: Lana Del Rey incorporates subtle vibrato in her singing, adding depth and richness to her vocal performance. Learn to control and introduce vibrato into certain phrases to add a touch of complexity and artistic expression to your rendition of the song.
Practical Tips for Learning “Gods and Monsters”
Here are some practical tips to help you master Lana Del Rey’s “Gods and Monsters” effectively:
- Step 1: Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, it’s crucial to understand your vocal range and voice type. Take the Vocal Range Test offered by Singing Carrots to identify your vocal capabilities and determine whether the song suits your voice.
- Step 2: Warm Up: Prior to practicing the song, warm up your voice with vocal exercises. Singing Carrots offers a variety of warm-up exercises in the Pitch Training section to help you prepare your voice for the demanding vocal range and techniques of “Gods and Monsters”.
- Step 3: Analyze the Song: Dive deep into the song’s structure, melody, and lyrics. Pay close attention to the vocal phrasing, dynamics, and any unique vocal techniques used by Lana Del Rey. Use the Song Search feature on Singing Carrots to access information about the song’s difficulty, vocal range, and genre.
- Step 4: Practice with the Vocal Pitch Monitor: Singing Carrots offers a Vocal Pitch Monitor tool that displays your sung notes on a virtual piano. Use this tool to monitor your pitch accuracy and make necessary adjustments while practicing “Gods and Monsters”.
- Step 5: Seek Inspiration: Listen to Lana Del Rey’s original version of “Gods and Monsters” and study her performance. Take note of her vocal style, phrasing, and delivery. Additionally, explore other songs by Lana Del Rey that exhibit similar vocal techniques, such as “Summertime Sadness” and “Video Games”.
- Step 6: Record and Evaluate: Utilize the Progress Statistics feature on Singing Carrots to track your improvement over time. Record yourself singing “Gods and Monsters”, analyze your performance, and identify areas for improvement. Regularly referring back to your recordings will allow you to gauge your progress and make necessary adjustments.
Relevant Singing Carrots Resources
Singing Carrots provides a range of resources to support your learning journey. Here are some articles and exercises that will enhance your understanding and execution of “Gods and Monsters”: