How to Learn Singing “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles
Singing a particular song requires practice, technique, and understanding the nuances of the music. In this article, we will guide you on how to learn to sing “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles. This beautiful song showcases emotional depth and vocal control, making it a great piece for singers to master.
Understanding the Unique Vocal Technique
“Gravity” incorporates the vocal technique known as belting. Belting is a powerful, resonant singing style commonly used in contemporary pop and musical theatre. It involves singing with a strong chest voice while maintaining a connected sound throughout the vocal range.
Other popular songs that use belting:
- “Defying Gravity” from the musical Wicked
- “Firework” by Katy Perry
- “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” from the musical Dreamgirls
Practical Tips for Learning the Song
Here are some practical tips to help you learn and master “Gravity”:
- Analyze Your Voice: Use our article on how to analyze your voice to understand your vocal strengths and areas for improvement.
- Know Your Voice Type: Learn about your vocal range and voice type by reading our article on voice types.
- Breathing Basics: Develop proper breath control by practicing active and passive breathing techniques. Check out our article on breathing basics to learn more.
- Warm-up Your Voice: Before singing “Gravity,” warm up your vocal cords with exercises like the Farinelli Breathing suggested by Singing Carrots.
- Work on Voice Registers: “Gravity” requires control of both chest voice and mixed voice. Learn about voice registers and vocal breaks by reading our article on voice registers & vocal break.
Useful Singing Carrots Resources
Singing Carrots provides a wide range of resources to help you improve your singing skills:
- Vocal Range Test: Identify your vocal range by taking our vocal range test.
- Pitch Accuracy Test: Assess your pitch accuracy with our pitch accuracy test.
- Vocal Pitch Monitor: Visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano using our vocal pitch monitor.
- Pitch Training: Improve your pitch control and agility with our interactive vocal warm-ups, pitch visualizer, and exercises available in our pitch training section.
- Song Search: Find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preferences using our song search feature.
- Artist Vocal Ranges: Explore the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers in our artist vocal ranges section.
- Singing Course: Enroll in our comprehensive 21-lesson singing course that covers singing theory and practical tips for beginners. Check it out here.