How to Learn Singing “He” by The Righteous Brothers
Learning to sing a specific song can be a rewarding and exciting experience. In this article, we will explore how to learn singing the classic song “He” by The Righteous Brothers. This song showcases powerful and emotional vocals, making it a great choice for singers looking to challenge themselves.
The Unique Vocal Technique in “He”
One of the standout features of “He” is the use of a vocal technique known as belting. Belting is a powerful and resonant singing style commonly used in pop, rock, and musical theater genres. It involves singing loudly and with a strong chest voice, while maintaining control and avoiding strain. Listening to “He,” you will notice that the chorus is a perfect example of belting, as the singer’s voice soars effortlessly.
It’s worth mentioning that belting requires proper breath support and good vocal technique. Singing Carrots offers a comprehensive article on contemporary vocal techniques, which covers belting in detail. Understanding the mechanics behind belting will help you achieve the powerful and expressive vocals heard in “He.”
Learning the Song
To effectively learn and master “He,” follow these steps:
- Listen to the Original Recording: Familiarize yourself with the song by listening to The Righteous Brothers’ original recording of “He.” Pay close attention to the phrasing, dynamics, and emotions conveyed in the performance.
- Analyze Your Voice: Singing Carrots offers a helpful article on how to analyze your voice. Applying this knowledge will enable you to assess your vocal range and determine if “He” suits your voice.
- Warm-up and Vocal Exercises: Before diving into the song, warm up your voice using Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training. These exercises will help prepare your vocal cords and improve pitch accuracy.
- Study the Lyrics and Melody: Familiarize yourself with the lyrics and melody of “He.” Break down the song into sections and practice each part separately, focusing on correct phrasing and emotion.
- Work on Belting Technique: As mentioned earlier, “He” requires strong belting skills. Singing Carrots offers an exercise video on how to twang, which is a key component of belting. Incorporate this exercise into your vocal practice to develop control and power in your voice.
- Record and Evaluate Your Performance: Use Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This tool will help you identify areas for improvement and track your progress as you practice “He.”
Similar Songs to Explore
Once you have mastered “He,” you may want to explore other songs that utilize similar vocal techniques. Here are a few suggestions:
- “Unchained Melody” – The Righteous Brothers
- “I Will Always Love You” – Whitney Houston
- “The Power of Love” – Celine Dion
- “Don’t Stop Believin'” – Journey
- “Livin’ on a Prayer” – Bon Jovi
Singing Carrots’ song search feature can help you find more songs matching your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preference.
Keep Practicing and Enjoy the Journey
Learning to sing “He” by The Righteous Brothers requires dedication and consistent practice. By following the steps outlined in this article and utilizing the resources provided by Singing Carrots, you will be on your way to mastering the song and honing your vocal skills. Remember to enjoy the process and have fun while learning. Happy singing!