How to Learn Singing “Help Yourself” by Amy Winehouse
If you’ve ever listened to Amy Winehouse’s amazing vocals, you’d understand why she is considered one of the greatest singers of our time. “Help Yourself” is one of her iconic songs that showcases her unique vocal technique and emotional delivery. In this article, we will explore how you can learn to sing “Help Yourself” and incorporate Amy Winehouse’s vocal style into your own singing.
Understanding the Song
Before diving into learning the song, it’s essential to understand its structure and style. “Help Yourself” is a soulful jazz-inspired ballad with a blend of R&B elements. The song allows Amy Winehouse to showcase her vocal range, control, and unique tonal quality. It is a beautiful blend of sultry low tones and powerful belting.
Mastering Vocal Technique
To sing “Help Yourself” like Amy Winehouse, it’s crucial to work on specific vocal techniques:
- Chest Voice: Amy Winehouse seamlessly transitions between her chest voice and head voice. Practice exercises that help you find your chest voice and experiment with blending it smoothly with your head voice.
- Emotional Phrasing: Amy Winehouse’s ability to convey emotions through her voice is unparalleled. To emulate her style, focus on connecting emotionally with the lyrics and bringing out the desired emotions in your own rendition of the song.
- Vocal Control: Amy Winehouse had excellent control over her vibrato, dynamics, and pitch. Work on exercises that improve your vocal control, such as the singing with vibrato exercise and the pitch training offered by Singing Carrots.
Now that you understand the song and the vocal techniques required, here are some resources from Singing Carrots that will help you learn and master “Help Yourself” by Amy Winehouse:
- Search songs by vocal range: Use our search feature to find songs matching your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preference. This will help you find similar songs to “Help Yourself” to practice and expand your repertoire.
- Vocal ranges of famous singers: Explore the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers, including Amy Winehouse, to gain insights into their vocal techniques and styles.
- Vocal Pitch Monitor: Use the vocal pitch monitor to visualize and analyze your sung notes on a virtual piano, helping you improve your pitch accuracy.
- Educational singing course: Sign up for our comprehensive singing course consisting of 21 lessons that cover singing theory, practical tips, and vocal exercises.
Practice and Interpretation
Once you’ve mastered the vocal techniques and familiarized yourself with the song, it’s time to practice and add your own interpretation. Here are some practical tips to help you:
- Record Yourself: Record your practice sessions and performances to evaluate your progress and make necessary improvements.
- Performance Techniques: Explore performing techniques through articles like Tips for performing on stage.
- Authenticity: Find your own authentic voice by experimenting and incorporating your unique style while staying true to the essence of the song.
Finally, if you enjoy singing “Help Yourself” by Amy Winehouse, you might also enjoy these songs that showcase similar vocal techniques and emotional delivery:
- “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse
- “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone
- “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5
Remember, learning to sing like Amy Winehouse takes time, practice, and dedication. Embrace the journey and enjoy every step of it.