Learning “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us” by Phillips Craig & Dean
In this educational article, we will explore how to learn and sing the beautiful song “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us” by Phillips Craig & Dean. This song has a unique vocal technique that emphasizes emotive storytelling and dynamic phrasing. It is a perfect song for those who want to practice expressive singing and connect emotionally with their audience.
Understanding the Song
“How Deep the Father’s Love for Us” is a powerful song that explores the depth of God’s love. It has a contemplative and introspective feel, allowing the singer to convey a sense of vulnerability and gratitude. Understanding the lyrics and the emotions they convey is crucial to delivering an impactful performance.
Technique: Expressive Storytelling
One of the unique vocal techniques used in this song is expressive storytelling. It involves vividly conveying the emotions and message of the song through your voice. To master this technique, focus on the following aspects:
- Emotional Connection: Connect with the lyrics on a deep level. Understand the meaning behind each word and phrase, and let that understanding guide your interpretation.
- Dynamic Phrasing: Use variations in volume, tone, and intensity to bring the emotions of the song to life. Pay attention to the dynamics indicated in the sheet music or follow the original recording for guidance.
- Pitch Control: Maintain control over the pitch throughout the song. This will help you deliver the intended emotions accurately and with precision.
- Breath Control: Proper breath control is essential for phrasing and sustaining notes. Work on maintaining steady breath support to deliver the emotional nuances of the song.
To further enhance your understanding of these vocal techniques, check out the following Singing Carrots resources:
- Article: How to Learn a Song Effectively
- Article: Breath Support – Respiration
- Video: Mixed Voice – Singing Comfort Zone
- Video: Warm-up/Practice Starter – 3 Minute Warm Up
Other Songs with Similar Vocal Technique
If you enjoy singing “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us” and want to explore more songs with a similar vocal technique, here are a few recommendations:
- “How Great Thou Art” by Carrie Underwood
- “In Christ Alone” by Keith & Kristyn Getty
- “Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)” by Chris Tomlin
- “Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)” by Hillsong United
Learning to sing “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us” by Phillips Craig & Dean is an enriching experience that allows you to practice expressive storytelling and connect with the song’s message deeply. Remember to focus on emotional connection, dynamic phrasing, pitch control, and breath control to deliver a powerful performance. Utilize the Singing Carrots resources mentioned above to enhance your understanding of these vocal techniques. Enjoy singing this beautiful song and explore more songs with a similar vocal style to expand your repertoire.