How to Learn Singing “Hurricane” by 30 Seconds to Mars
Learning to sing a specific song requires time, practice, and a solid understanding of vocal techniques. In this article, we will explore the unique vocal techniques used in “Hurricane” by 30 Seconds to Mars and provide practical advice on how to approach learning and performing this song.
The Unique Vocal Technique in “Hurricane”
One of the distinctive vocal techniques used in “Hurricane” is the incorporation of heavy modal singing. Heavy modal singing, also known as vocal distortion, is a technique that adds grit and intensity to the voice. This technique creates a raw and powerful sound, allowing the singer to convey intense emotions within the song.
“Hurricane” is not the only song where heavy modal singing is utilized. Other popular songs that feature this technique include “Cryin'” by Aerosmith and “Prayer of the Refugee” by Rise Against. Listening to these songs can provide inspiration and serve as reference points for mastering the heavy modal singing technique.
Practical Advice for Learning “Hurricane”
To effectively learn and sing “Hurricane,” it is important to follow a structured approach. Here are some practical tips to guide your practice:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into learning the song, take the time to analyze your own voice. Singing Carrots offers a helpful guide on how to analyze your voice. Understanding your vocal range and strengths will help you adapt the song to best suit your voice.
- Study the Song: Listen to “Hurricane” multiple times to familiarize yourself with its melody, lyrics, and overall structure. Pay attention to the sections where heavy modal singing is prominent and make note of the emotional dynamics within the song.
- Breathing and Breath Support: Proper breathing technique is crucial for executing heavy modal singing. Singing Carrots offers a comprehensive guide on breath support and breathing basics. Incorporate breathing exercises into your warm-up routine to strengthen your breath control.
- Warm-ups and Vocal Exercises: Singing Carrots provides a Pitch Training tool that includes vocal warm-ups, pitch visualization, and exercises for range and agility. Use this tool to warm up your voice and practice the specific vocal techniques required in “Hurricane.”
- Posture and Relaxation: Maintaining good posture while singing is essential for optimal sound production. Watch the Good Singing Posture video on Singing Carrots to understand the correct posture for singing. Additionally, focus on relaxation techniques, as tension can hinder your vocal performance.
- Emotion and Expression: “Hurricane” is an emotionally charged song, so it is important to convey the appropriate emotions while performing. Singing Carrots offers valuable insights on singing with emotion in their article on singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking. Incorporate these techniques to enhance your interpretation of the song.
Further Resources from Singing Carrots
Singing Carrots provides a wide range of resources to support your singing journey. Here are a few additional articles and tools that can help you improve your singing skills:
- Pop/Jazz vs Classical singing: Understand the differences between these singing styles.
- Resonance in singing: Learn how to enhance your vocal resonance.
- How to analyze your voice: Find out how to analyze your unique voice.
- Breathing basics: Learn the fundamentals of breathing for singing.
- Voice registers & vocal break: Understand the different registers of your voice and how to transition between them.
- Breath support: Learn techniques to improve your breath control while singing.