How to Learn Singing “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” from Jesus Christ Superstar
Learning to sing a particular song requires focus, practice, and utilizing the right vocal techniques. In this article, we will explore how to learn to sing “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” from the iconic musical Jesus Christ Superstar. This beautiful ballad, originally performed by Yvonne Elliman, showcases a unique vocal technique known as emotive storytelling.
The Unique Vocal Technique: Emotive Storytelling
“I Don’t Know How to Love Him” is an emotional and expressive song that requires the singer to convey the deep feelings and conflicts experienced by Mary Magdalene. To do justice to this song, it is essential to master the art of emotive storytelling.
Emotive storytelling involves interpreting the lyrics and conveying the emotions behind them. It requires a combination of vocal techniques such as dynamic control, phrasing, and expressiveness. By understanding the underlying emotions of the song and effectively conveying them through vocal nuances, you can create a captivating performance.
Other Songs Utilizing Emotive Storytelling
The technique of emotive storytelling is not limited to “I Don’t Know How to Love Him.” It is commonly used in various other popular songs. Some notable examples include:
- “Defying Gravity” from Wicked: This powerful ballad sung by Elphaba requires the singer to convey determination, strength, and defiance.
- “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” from Dreamgirls: This emotional powerhouse of a song requires the singer to express raw emotions and vulnerability.
- “Bring Him Home” from Les Misérables: Sung by the character Jean Valjean, this heartfelt song demands sincerity and tenderness in its delivery.
By exploring these songs and studying the performances of renowned singers, you can gain insights into how to effectively incorporate emotive storytelling in your singing.
Practical Advice for Learning the Song
To learn how to sing “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” effectively, here are some practical tips to guide you:
- Analyze the Song: Start by analyzing the song’s structure, melody, and lyrics. Understand the emotions and story it conveys.
- Breathing and Breath Support: Take deep breaths from the diaphragm to ensure proper breath support and control while singing.
- Warm-up Exercises: Warm up your voice with vocal exercises to improve flexibility and prepare your vocal cords for singing.
- Articulation and Diction: Pay attention to articulation and diction to ensure clarity of the lyrics while maintaining the emotional delivery.
- Phrasing and Dynamics: Focus on phrasing the song in a way that emphasizes the emotional peaks and valleys. Use dynamics to add depth and intensity to your performance.
- Record and Review: Record yourself singing the song and review the recording. Identify areas that need improvement and make necessary adjustments.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: Dedicate regular practice sessions to refine your performance. Break down challenging sections and focus on mastering them gradually.
Relevant Singing Carrots Resources
As you embark on your journey to learn “I Don’t Know How to Love Him,” make use of the following Singing Carrots resources: