How to Learn Singing “Impossible” by Shontelle
Singing “Impossible” by Shontelle can be a challenging endeavor, but with the right approach and techniques, you can master this beautiful song. In this article, we will guide you through the process of learning and singing “Impossible,” highlighting key vocal techniques used in the song and providing practical advice along the way.
Understanding the Song
Before diving into the technicalities of singing “Impossible,” it’s important to understand the song itself. Written by Arnthor Birgisson and Ina Wroldsen, “Impossible” is a heartfelt ballad that showcases both vulnerability and strength. The song explores the emotional struggle and resilience of facing an impossible love situation.
Unique Vocal Technique: One of the distinctive features of “Impossible” is the use of vocal runs and melismas. Throughout the song, Shontelle effortlessly navigates through intricate vocal embellishments, adding an extra layer of emotion and intensity to the performance. This technique can be challenging, but with practice and guidance, you can master it.
Practical Tips for Learning the Song
- Listen and Internalize: Start by listening to the original recording of “Impossible” multiple times. Pay close attention to Shontelle’s phrasing, dynamics, and emotional delivery. Internalize the melody and lyrics to develop a deep understanding of the song.
- Vocal Warm-Up: Before attempting to sing “Impossible,” it’s essential to warm up your voice. Vocal warm-up exercises, such as those found in our Pitch Training program, can help you prepare your vocal cords and improve your vocal flexibility.
- Vocal Range: Determine your vocal range by taking our Vocal Range Test. This will help you identify which parts of the song are within your comfortable range and which may require slightly more effort. Make sure to choose a key that suits your voice.
- Breathing and Breath Support: Proper breathing and breath support are crucial in delivering the song’s emotional depth. Practice the techniques discussed in our article on Breathing Basics to improve your breath control and sustain your notes.
- Vocal Technique: Since “Impossible” features intricate vocal runs and melismas, it’s important to work on your agility and control. Our Pitch Training program offers exercises specifically designed to enhance your vocal agility and precision. Additionally, you can watch the video on How to Twang Exercise to improve your control over vocal runs.
Other Songs with Similar Techniques
The vocal technique used in “Impossible” is not unique to this song alone. Similar vocal runs and melismas can be found in other popular songs, such as:
- Beyoncé – “Listen”
- Ariana Grande – “Dangerous Woman”
- Christina Aguilera – “The Voice Within”
- Mariah Carey – “Vision of Love”
By studying these songs, you can further develop and refine your vocal technique, as well as gain a deeper appreciation for this style of singing.
Continued Learning with Singing Carrots
At Singing Carrots, we offer a variety of resources to support your singing journey:
- For comprehensive vocal training, consider enrolling in our Educational Singing Course. This course covers singing theory, technique, and practical tips to help you become a well-rounded vocalist.
- Our Vocal Pitch Monitor tool allows you to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano, helping you refine your pitch accuracy and intonation.