Singing a song like “Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)” by Marvin Gaye can be an exciting and fulfilling experience for any vocalist. This iconic song from the 1970s is not only known for its powerful lyrics and social commentary, but it also showcases unique vocal techniques that add depth and emotion to the performance.
The Vocal Technique
One of the standout vocal techniques used in this song is Belting. Belting is a powerful singing technique commonly used in soul, R&B, and gospel genres. It involves singing with a strong and resonant sound in the higher portion of the vocal range. In “Inner City Blues,” Marvin Gaye employs belting to convey the raw emotion and intensity of the lyrics.
Other Songs that Use Belting
Belting is a widely used vocal technique in various genres. Here are a few popular songs where belting plays a significant role:
Learning the Song
To effectively learn and master “Inner City Blues,” follow these practical steps:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, it’s important to understand your voice. Take the vocal range test on Singing Carrots to determine your vocal range and identify your strengths.
- Warm-up and Stretch: Proper warm-up exercises are essential to prepare your voice. Singing Carrots offers a variety of warm-up exercises in their Pitch Training section.
- Listen and Study: Listen to the original recording of “Inner City Blues” to familiarize yourself with the melody, phrasing, and style of the song. Pay attention to Marvin Gaye’s vocal nuances and the emotional delivery of the lyrics.
- Work on Technique: Since belting is a key element of this song, it’s crucial to practice the correct technique. Singing Carrots offers several resources, such as the vibrato exercise and the twang exercise, which can help you develop and control your belt.
- Embrace Emotion: “Inner City Blues” is a song that demands emotional connection. Allow yourself to feel the lyrics and infuse your performance with genuine emotions. Singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking can elevate your rendition of the song.
The Singing Carrots Advantage
As a member of Singing Carrots, you have access to an array of resources that can assist you in learning and mastering “Inner City Blues” or any other song:
- Vocal ranges of famous singers: Explore the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers, including Marvin Gaye, to gain inspiration and insight.
- Search songs by vocal range: Utilize the song search feature to find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preference.
- Educational singing course: Enroll in an educational singing course to improve and refine your singing skills.