How to Learn Singing “La Mer” (Beyond The Sea)
Singing “La Mer” (Beyond The Sea) by Charles Trenet is a wonderful experience that allows you to showcase your vocal skills and immerse yourself in the enchanting melodies of this timeless classic. In this article, we will explore the unique vocal technique used in the song and provide practical advice on how to learn and master it. We will also mention other popular songs that incorporate similar vocal techniques.
The Unique Vocal Technique
One of the distinctive features of “La Mer” is the use of smooth legato phrasing. Legato, which means “smooth” in Italian, requires singers to connect notes seamlessly, creating a flowing and continuous sound. In this song, Charles Trenet’s delivery of the lyrics is characterized by his effortless legato technique, which adds a sense of elegance and fluidity to the performance.
Similar Vocal Techniques in Other Songs
Several other popular songs also utilize the legato technique to enhance the musical expression:
- “Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra showcases his impeccable legato singing style, creating a romantic and soothing atmosphere.
- “Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers features their emotive legato phrasing that perfectly captures the longing and passion of the song.
- “Unforgettable” by Nat King Cole highlights his smooth legato delivery, making the lyrics linger in the listeners’ minds.
Practical Tips to Learn “La Mer”
To effectively learn and sing “La Mer” with confidence, make use of the following practical tips:
- Analyze Your Voice: Understand your voice type and range by taking our Vocal Range Test. This will help you identify the most suitable key for your voice.
- Breathe Properly: Learn and practice proper breathing techniques, as described in our article on Breathing Basics. Good breath support will ensure a steady and controlled vocal delivery.
- Focus on Articulation: Pay attention to articulating the lyrics clearly. Our article on Articulation provides valuable tips and exercises to improve your diction while singing.
- Develop Your Legato Technique: Work on your legato phrasing by practicing vocal exercises that promote smooth transitions between notes. You can find such exercises in our Singing Comfort Zone and Mixed Voice videos.
- Use the Vocal Pitch Monitor: Utilize our Vocal Pitch Monitor to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This will help you stay in tune and refine your pitch accuracy.
Tap into Singing Carrots Resources
At Singing Carrots, we offer a range of tools and resources to support your singing journey:
- Pitch Training: Enhance your pitch accuracy and vocal control with our Pitch Training program through interactive warm-ups and pitch visualizers.
- Song Search: Find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preferences by using our Song Search feature.
- Artist Vocal Ranges: Explore the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers in our comprehensive database. Discover their capabilities and find inspiration for your own singing journey.
- Song Book: Create your performance set by compiling lyrics, sheet music, chords, karaoke tracks, and YouTube audio, all accessible through our Song Book.
- Progress Statistics: Monitor your singing improvement over time and keep track of key performance metrics, including pitch accuracy and vocal range expansion.
Take advantage of these resources to enhance your singing skills, broaden your repertoire, and embark on a fulfilling musical journey with “La Mer” and other captivating songs.