How to Learn Singing “Listen to the Man” by George Ezra
Learning to sing a particular song can be a fun and rewarding experience. In this article, we will explore the song “Listen to the Man” by George Ezra and provide you with practical advice and resources from Singing Carrots to help you master this song effectively.
Understanding the Song
“Listen to the Man” is a folk-pop song with catchy melodies and thoughtful lyrics. It showcases George Ezra’s unique vocal style and control. One of the notable techniques used in this song is his ability to sing with a raspy and gravelly voice, adding a distinctive texture to his sound. This technique is also commonly used in other popular songs like Rag’n’Bone Man’s “Human” and Hozier’s “Take Me to Church.”
Preparing Your Voice
Before diving into learning the song, it’s important to warm up your voice to ensure flexibility and prevent strain. Singing Carrots offers a helpful Pitch Training – Educational Singing Game that includes vocal warm-up exercises and pitch visualizations to get your voice ready.
Analyzing Your Voice
Understanding your own voice type and capabilities is crucial when learning a new song. Singing Carrots provides a comprehensive article on how to analyze your voice which can help you identify your vocal range, strengths, and areas for improvement. Taking the Vocal Range Test on Singing Carrots will also give you insights into your voice and help you compare it with famous singers.
Breathing and Breath Support
Proper breath support is essential for singing any song with control and power. Singing Carrots has an informative article on breathing basics that explains the difference between active and passive breathing. Mastering breath support will allow you to sustain notes and phrases effortlessly.
To sing “Listen to the Man” with the same unique vocal style as George Ezra, it’s important to work on your raspiness and gravelly voice. Singing Carrots offers exercise videos that can help you develop these specific vocal techniques.
- To practice twanging, a technique used by George Ezra, follow the How to Twang Exercise video.
- For growling, another technique that can add texture to your voice, try the How to Growl Exercise video.
Learning the Song
Now that you have prepared your voice and understand the vocal techniques used in “Listen to the Man,” it’s time to start learning the song itself. Here are some steps to guide you:
- Listen to the original song multiple times to familiarize yourself with the melody, rhythm, and lyrics.
- Begin by working on the melody. Use the Vocal Pitch Monitor on Singing Carrots to visualize the notes as you sing along. This tool allows you to see your sung notes on a virtual piano, helping you match the pitch accurately.
- Pay attention to the phrasing and dynamics of the song. Use your breath support to add nuance and emotional expression to your performance.
- Practice the song section by section, focusing on challenging parts and gradually piecing them together.
- Once you feel comfortable with the melody, work on embodying the unique vocal style of George Ezra. Experiment with adding raspiness and gravelly texture to your voice while maintaining control and clarity.