How to Learn Singing “Look What Happened To Mabel” by Bernadette Peters
If you’re a fan of musical theater, you’re probably familiar with the incredible talent of Bernadette Peters. One of her most iconic songs is “Look What Happened To Mabel” from the Broadway musical “Mack & Mabel.” Learning to sing this song can be a fun and rewarding experience, and in this article, we will guide you through the process, highlighting the unique vocal techniques used by Bernadette Peters and providing practical advice along the way.
Understanding the Song
“Look What Happened To Mabel” is a lively, comedic number that showcases Bernadette Peters’ impressive vocal range and control. The song requires a mix of belting, twang, and dynamic expression to truly capture its spirit. Throughout the song, Peters effortlessly transitions between different vocal registers, demonstrating her versatility as a singer.
Vocal Technique Used
The key to mastering this song lies in understanding and implementing the vocal techniques employed by Bernadette Peters. Here are some key techniques to focus on:
- Belting: Bernadette Peters is known for her powerful belting voice. To achieve a strong, resonant belt, work on good breath support, proper diaphragmatic engagement, and singing with an open throat. Check out this article on breath support for more guidance.
- Twang: Twang is a technique that adds brightness and focus to the voice. It can be particularly effective in comedic songs like “Look What Happened To Mabel.” Watch this instructional video on how to twang for exercises and tips.
- Dynamic Expression: Bernadette Peters is a master of bringing emotion and character into her performances. Experiment with different dynamics, using softer and louder moments to convey the humor and energy of the song.
Learning a song like “Look What Happened To Mabel” requires practice and dedication. Here are some practical tips to help you along the way:
- Start with Warm-ups: Before diving into the song, warm up your voice with exercises that focus on breath control, vocal range, and articulation. The Pitch Training tool offered by Singing Carrots is a great resource for vocal warm-ups.
- Analyze your Voice: Understanding your unique vocal range and voice type can guide you in adapting the song to suit your voice. Take the Vocal Range Test to have a better understanding of your vocal capabilities.
- Study Bernadette Peters’ Performance: Watch live performances of Bernadette Peters singing “Look What Happened To Mabel” to observe her technique, expression, and stage presence. This will help you capture the essence of the song in your own performance.
- Breathing Techniques: Proper breath support is crucial in executing the vocal demands of the song. Review this article on breathing basics to improve your breath control.
Singing Carrots Resources
Singing Carrots offers a variety of resources that can aid you in learning and practicing “Look What Happened To Mabel” and other songs:
- Song search: Find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preferences.
- Artist vocal ranges: Explore vocal ranges of famous singers, including Bernadette Peters.
- Singing course: Enroll in an educational singing course to enhance your singing skills and broaden your knowledge.
Remember to have fun while learning “Look What Happened To Mabel.” Take your time, practice regularly, and don’t hesitate to seek guidance from vocal coaches or singing communities. Happy singing!