How to Learn Singing “Love Like You” from Steven Universe
If you’re a fan of Steven Universe and want to learn how to sing “Love Like You”, you’ve come to the right place! This heartfelt song, originally sung by Rebecca Sugar, offers a beautiful opportunity to showcase your vocal skills and emotional depth. In this article, we’ll explore the unique vocal technique used in the song and provide practical advice on how to learn and perform it effectively.
The Unique Vocal Technique: Belting with Emotional Connection
“Love Like You” showcases the vocal technique known as belting. Belting refers to singing in a powerful and resonant voice, typically in the higher register, while maintaining a strong emotional connection to the lyrics. It allows the singer to convey a wide range of emotions, from vulnerability to strength, adding depth and intensity to the performance. This technique is frequently used in pop songs to create a powerful and emotional impact on the audience.
In “Love Like You,” the belting technique is used to express feelings of love, compassion, and longing. The song’s intimate and introspective lyrics require a delicate balance between power and vulnerability, making it a unique vocal challenge.
Practical Steps to Learn “Love Like You”
Here are some practical steps to help you learn and master “Love Like You”:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, it’s essential to analyze your voice and identify your vocal range. Singing Carrots offers a Vocal Range Test that can help you determine your range and compare it with famous singers.
- Warm Up and Breathing Basics: Start by warming up your voice and practicing breath control. Singing Carrots provides a Pitch Training tool with interactive vocal warm-ups and exercises for range and agility. Additionally, you can refer to articles on breathing basics and breath support for valuable tips.
- Listen and Study: Listen to the original version of “Love Like You” and study the phrasing, dynamics, and emotional nuances. Pay attention to how Rebecca Sugar delivers the lyrics with authenticity and vulnerability.
- Practice the Melody: Start by practicing the melody without focusing on the lyrics. Sing along with Pitch Accuracy Test tool to assess your pitch accuracy.
- Work on Emotional Connection: Once you feel comfortable with the melody, start working on the emotional connection to the lyrics. Understand the context of the song and channel your emotions while singing, allowing the heartfelt message to resonate with your audience.
- Refine Your Technique: To enhance your belting technique, consider exploring Singing Carrots’ resources on contemporary vocal techniques such as heavy modal and twang. These techniques can help add power and depth to your voice.
- Record and Assess: Record yourself singing “Love Like You” and assess your performance. Take note of areas that need improvement and work on refining your vocal technique and emotional expression.
To further enhance your singing journey, Singing Carrots offers a range of resources that can support your growth as a vocalist:
- Song Search: Find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preference.
- Artist Vocal Ranges: Discover the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers, which can provide inspiration and reference for your own singing.
- Song-book: Create your performance set and get linked lyrics, sheet music, and more.