How to Learn Singing Michael Crawford’s “On Eagle’s Wings”
Learning to sing a song like Michael Crawford’s “On Eagle’s Wings” can be a rewarding experience. This iconic song requires a unique vocal technique known as belting. Belting is a powerful and resonant singing style commonly used in Broadway and pop genres. “On Eagle’s Wings” showcases Crawford’s incredible vocal range and control, making it a great song to practice and master this technique.
Understanding Belting Technique
Belting involves singing with a strong, chest-dominant voice, while maintaining control and avoiding strain. To achieve this technique, it’s important to master proper breath support and diaphragmatic breathing. Singing Carrots offers a useful article on breath support that can help you develop the necessary foundation for belting. Remember to engage your core muscles and maintain proper posture to support your breath and vocal power.
Practical Advice for Learning “On Eagle’s Wings”
To effectively learn “On Eagle’s Wings,” follow these steps:
- Listen and Analyze: Start by listening to Michael Crawford’s original recording of the song. Pay attention to his vocal technique, phrasing, and emotional delivery. This will help you understand the style and essence of the song.
- Warm-up and Vocal Exercises: Before diving into the song, warm up your voice with Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training exercises. These will help you improve your pitch accuracy and warm up your vocal muscles.
- Break Down the Song: Break the song into smaller sections and practice each section individually. Focus on the challenging parts and dedicate more time to master them. Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor can help you visualize the notes and guide you through the melody.
- Embrace Emotion and Dynamics: “On Eagle’s Wings” is a song filled with emotion and soaring melodies. Don’t just focus on hitting the right notes; aim to convey the feelings and tell the story of the song. Singing Carrots’ article on singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking provides valuable insights on how to connect with the emotional aspects of a song.
- Record and Evaluate: Record yourself singing the song and listen back to identify areas for improvement. Compare your performance to Michael Crawford’s rendition and adjust your technique accordingly. Singing Carrots’ article on how to analyze your voice can help you in this self-assessment process.
Related Singing Carrots Resources
Singing Carrots offers several resources that can aid you in learning and refining your singing skills:
- Search songs by vocal range
- Vocal ranges of famous singers
- Pitch Training
- Educational singing course
By following these steps and utilizing Singing Carrots’ resources, you’ll be well on your way to mastering “On Eagle’s Wings” and enhancing your singing skills.