How to Learn Singing “Only Love Can Hurt Like This” by Paloma Faith
Learning to sing a specific song can be an exciting and fulfilling experience. In this article, we will guide you through the process of learning the beautiful ballad “Only Love Can Hurt Like This” by Paloma Faith. This song showcases a unique vocal technique that requires control, emotion, and an understanding of vocal dynamics.
Understanding the Vocal Technique
“Only Love Can Hurt Like This” is known for its powerful and emotionally charged performance. It requires the singer to master the art of belting, which is a vocal technique commonly used in pop and soul music. Belting is a powerful and resonant singing style that allows the singer to convey intense emotions.
This vocal technique is used in several popular songs from various artists. Some examples include Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep,” Beyoncé’s “Halo,” and Jessie J’s “Price Tag.” By familiarizing yourself with these songs, you can gain a better understanding of how belting is used to convey emotions in different musical contexts.
Practical Tips for Learning the Song
- Start by analyzing your vocal range using the Vocal Range Test on Singing Carrots. This will help you determine if the song fits within your comfortable singing range.
- Listen to the original version of “Only Love Can Hurt Like This” multiple times to familiarize yourself with the melody, phrasing, and emotional nuances of the song.
- Study the lyrics and the meaning behind them. Understanding the lyrics will help you connect with the emotions of the song and deliver a more heartfelt performance.
- Take advantage of the Pitch Accuracy Test on Singing Carrots to practice matching the pitch of the song accurately. This will improve your overall pitch control.
- Use the Vocal Pitch Monitor tool on Singing Carrots to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This will help you identify any pitch issues and correct them.
- Explore the Song Search feature on Singing Carrots to find other songs with a similar vocal range and emotional intensity. This will expand your repertoire and provide you with more opportunities to practice your belting technique.
- Take your time to practice the song. Start by learning the melody and then gradually add dynamics, emotional expression, and vocal embellishments. Pay attention to breath control, vocal registers, and the use of vibrato to add depth to your performance.
Additional Resources to Enhance Your Singing Skills
Singing Carrots offers a variety of resources that can further enhance your singing skills, including:
- Educational Singing Course: This comprehensive course covers singing theory and practical tips to help you improve your vocal technique.
- Vocal Ranges of Famous Singers: Discover the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers, including Paloma Faith. This can serve as a reference for understanding different vocal techniques and ranges.
- How to Learn a Song Effectively: Read this article to learn effective strategies for memorizing lyrics, understanding song structure, and delivering a compelling performance.
- Breath Support: Understand the importance of breath support in singing and learn techniques to improve your breath control and stamina.
- Singing with Intuition, Skills, Emotion, and Thinking: Explore the connection between emotions and singing, and learn how to infuse your performance with genuine feeling.