How to Learn Singing “Opening Up” from Waitress: The Musical
Singing a song from a musical can be a rewarding and challenging experience. In this article, we will guide you on how to learn the song “Opening Up” from the popular musical Waitress. We will highlight the unique vocal technique used in the song and mention other popular songs that utilize similar techniques. Along the way, we will provide practical advice and relevant resources from Singing Carrots to help you master this song.
Understanding the Song
“Opening Up” is the opening number from the musical Waitress. It is a lively and upbeat song that sets the tone for the rest of the show. The song showcases the protagonist’s (Jenna) journey of self-discovery and finding her voice.
Unique Vocal Technique
In “Opening Up,” the unique vocal technique used is a mix of storytelling and belting. It requires a balance of emotions and powerful vocals to effectively convey the character’s journey. This technique can also be found in other popular musical numbers such as “Defying Gravity” from Wicked and “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from Funny Girl.
- Analyze the Song: Before diving into the vocals, take some time to analyze the song. Understand the lyrics, the emotions behind them, and how it fits into the overall story of the musical. This will help you connect with the song on a deeper level.
- Breathing and Posture: Proper breathing and posture are essential for singing any song. Check out the Singing Carrots resources on breathing basics and how posture affects your singing to ensure you have a solid foundation.
- Warm-up: Before tackling the song, warm up your voice with exercises that focus on breath control, vocal range, and articulation. Singing Carrots offers a pitch training game that can help you with vocal warm-ups and pitch accuracy.
- Practice Intonation: “Opening Up” has various melodic intervals. Use the pitch accuracy test from Singing Carrots to improve your intonation and train your ear to hit the right notes.
- Emotional Connection: To truly bring the song to life, focus on the emotional aspect of the performance. Sing with intention and try to convey the character’s journey through your voice. Watch videos on vibrato and singing with emotion to enhance your performance.
- Articulation and Diction: Practice the articulation exercises found in Singing Carrots’ articulation article to ensure clear and crisp pronunciation of the words in the song.
- Vocal Range: “Opening Up” requires a solid vocal range. If you’re unsure about your range, take the vocal range test to determine your capabilities and find songs within your range.
- Self-Expression: Finally, remember that each performance is unique. Allow yourself to bring your own interpretation and personal touch to the song. Singing Carrots’ article on how to find your own authentic voice can help you in this journey.
Learning “Opening Up” from Waitress: The Musical can be an exciting process. By following the steps outlined in this article and utilizing the Singing Carrots resources, you’ll be well-equipped to tackle this song. Remember to connect with the emotions of the song, showcase your unique voice, and have fun with the performance. Happy singing!