How to Learn Singing “Ordinary Day” by Vanessa Carlton
Are you a fan of Vanessa Carlton’s beautiful and captivating voice? If so, you may be interested in learning how to sing one of her most popular songs, “Ordinary Day.” This iconic song showcases Vanessa Carlton’s unique vocal technique and emotional delivery. In this article, we’ll provide you with practical advice on how to learn and master this song, as well as highlight the vocal techniques used by Vanessa Carlton.
The Vocal Technique in “Ordinary Day”
One of the key vocal techniques used in “Ordinary Day” is breath control and support. Throughout the song, Vanessa Carlton demonstrates excellent breath control, allowing her to sustain long, powerful phrases effortlessly. To achieve this, it’s essential to focus on proper breathing techniques.
To improve your breath control, we recommend taking our Breath Support course. This course provides exercises and tips to help you develop a strong and steady breath supply, enabling you to sing with power and endurance.
Learning and Practicing “Ordinary Day”
Learning a song effectively requires a systematic approach. Here are some steps to help you learn and master “Ordinary Day”:
- Listen to the original song: Begin by familiarizing yourself with the melody, phrasing, and overall style of “Ordinary Day” by listening to the original recording multiple times. Pay attention to the subtle nuances in Vanessa Carlton’s vocal delivery.
- Analyze the song structure: Break down the song into sections such as verses, choruses, and bridges. This will help you understand the progression of the song and prepare for each section.
- Work on pitch accuracy: Use our Pitch Accuracy Test to assess your pitch accuracy. This will help you identify any areas that need improvement and allow you to focus on specific sections of the song.
- Practice vocal warm-ups: Before attempting to sing “Ordinary Day,” warm up your vocal cords with exercises that target your vocal range and agility. Our Pitch Training program provides interactive warm-up exercises and vocal agility drills.
- Pay attention to vocal technique: As you practice singing “Ordinary Day,” focus on using proper vocal technique. This includes maintaining good posture, opening your mouth and throat, and avoiding constrictions. Refer to the following articles for more detailed guidance on these techniques:
- Open mouth and throat while singing
- How posture affects your singing
- Avoiding constrictions while singing
By incorporating these techniques into your practice, you’ll be able to sing “Ordinary Day” with greater precision and authenticity.
Other Songs with Similar Vocal Techniques
The vocal techniques used in “Ordinary Day” are also prevalent in other popular songs. Here are a few examples:
- “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton
- “Bubbly” by Colbie Caillat
- “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles
- “Come Away with Me” by Norah Jones
Studying these songs in addition to “Ordinary Day” will give you a broader understanding of how these vocal techniques can be applied in various musical contexts.
Remember, learning a song takes time and dedication. Be patient with yourself and enjoy the process. Before you know it, you’ll be singing “Ordinary Day” with confidence and skill.