How to Learn Singing: “Piece by Piece” by Kelly Clarkson
Learning to sing a new song can be both exciting and challenging. In this article, we will guide you on how to learn singing the beautiful ballad “Piece by Piece” by Kelly Clarkson. This heartfelt song showcases Kelly’s powerful vocals and emotional delivery, making it a great choice for singers looking to enhance their vocal technique and expressiveness.
Understanding the Vocal Technique
One of the unique vocal techniques used in “Piece by Piece” is the art of storytelling through dynamics. The song starts off softly, allowing the lyrics to take center stage and draw the listener in. As the song progresses, Kelly gradually builds up the intensity, culminating in a powerful and emotive chorus. By mastering the control of dynamics, you can effectively convey the emotions of the song and connect with your audience on a deeper level.
This technique of using dynamics to tell a story is not limited to “Piece by Piece.” You can find similar vocal techniques in other popular songs like “Someone Like You” by Adele and “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen. By exploring different songs that utilize dynamics, you can expand your vocal range and add depth to your singing.
Practical Advice on Learning the Song
To effectively learn “Piece by Piece” and incorporate the vocal technique mentioned above, here are some practical steps to follow:
- Listen and study: Start by listening to the original recording of the song multiple times. Pay attention to Kelly’s vocal phrasing, expression, and use of dynamics. Take note of the emotional journey the song takes you on.
- Practice vocal warm-ups: Before diving into the song, it’s important to warm up your vocal cords. Singing Carrots offers a vocal warm-up course that you can utilize to prepare your voice for the song.
- Break down the song: Divide the song into smaller sections and practice each section individually. This approach will help you focus on mastering the dynamics and phrasing within each section before putting them all together.
- Work on breath control: “Piece by Piece” requires strong breath support, especially during the emotional crescendos. Singing Carrots’ pitch training exercises can help you improve your breath control and sustain notes with power and control.
- Record and evaluate: Once you feel comfortable singing the entire song, record yourself and listen back. Pay attention to areas where you can improve, such as dynamics, pitch accuracy, and emotional delivery. Use Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano and make necessary adjustments.
Additional Singing Carrots Resources
As you learn “Piece by Piece,” make use of these Singing Carrots resources:
- Vocal range test: Determine your vocal range and compare it with famous singers.
- Pitch accuracy test: Evaluate your pitch accuracy by singing along with simple melodies.
- Vocal Pitch Monitor: Visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano.
- Pitch Training: Improve your vocal range, agility, and pitch accuracy through interactive vocal warm-ups and exercises.
- Song search: Find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preference.
- Artist vocal ranges: Discover the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers for inspiration.