How to Learn Singing “Rebel Rebel” by David Bowie
If you’re a fan of David Bowie and want to learn how to sing “Rebel Rebel,” this guide is for you. “Rebel Rebel” is a classic rock song known for its catchy melody and rebellious lyrics. In this article, we will explore the unique vocal techniques used in the song and provide you with practical advice on how to master it.
Understanding the Vocal Technique
“Rebel Rebel” is characterized by Bowie’s distinctive vocal style, which blends elements of rock, glam, and punk. One of the key techniques used in the song is belting, a powerful and intense singing technique commonly associated with rock music. Bowie effortlessly switches between his chest voice and head voice, creating a dynamic and expressive performance.
Recommended Singing Carrots Resources
Before diving into learning “Rebel Rebel,” take advantage of the following Singing Carrots resources to enhance your singing skills:
- Voice Types: Learn about different voice classifications and discover your own voice type.
- Voice Registers & Vocal Break: Understand how different vocal registers work and how to transition smoothly between them.
- Breath Support: Master breath support techniques to maintain control and power during your singing.
- Contemporary Vocal Techniques: Heavy Modal, Twang, Belting: Learn more about belting and other contemporary vocal techniques.
- Vocal Distortion & Growling: Explore techniques to add texture and grit to your voice, inspired by Bowie’s unique style.
Step-by-Step Guide to Singing “Rebel Rebel”
Follow these steps to effectively learn and master “Rebel Rebel”:
- Analyze Your Voice: Start by taking the vocal range test to determine your vocal range. This will help you understand the key where you’ll feel comfortable singing the song.
- Warm Up: Before diving into the song, make sure to warm up your voice properly. Consider using the Pitch Training tool to improve your pitch accuracy and warm up your vocal muscles.
- Listen and Memorize: Listen to the original version of “Rebel Rebel” multiple times to familiarize yourself with the melody, lyrics, and overall feel of the song. Memorize the lyrics and melody to build your confidence when singing.
- Study the Vocal Technique: Pay close attention to how Bowie switches between different vocal registers. Use the Vocal Pitch Monitor tool to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano and ensure accuracy.
- Practice Section by Section: Divide the song into manageable sections and practice each section separately. Focus on mimicking Bowie’s vocal style, incorporating belting techniques, and adding your own unique interpretation to the song.
- Record and Evaluate: Record yourself singing “Rebel Rebel” and objectively evaluate your performance. Pay attention to areas where you can improve, such as pitch accuracy, breath control, and overall vocal expression.
- Seek Feedback: Share your recording with a vocal coach or experienced singer to receive valuable feedback and guidance for further improvement.
- Perform and Have Fun: Once you feel confident with your rendition of “Rebel Rebel,” share it with others and enjoy the experience of performing this iconic song.