How to Learn Singing “Royals” by Lorde
Learning to sing a particular song can be an exciting journey, and one song that has gained immense popularity is “Royals” by Lorde. In this article, we will explore how to approach learning and singing this iconic song, highlighting its unique vocal technique and mentioning other popular songs that incorporate similar techniques.
Understanding the Song
Before diving into the vocal technique, it’s essential to have a clear understanding of the song itself. “Royals” is a soulful pop track that showcases Lorde’s distinct singing style. The song’s lyrics discuss themes of fame, wealth, and the desire for something more genuine and authentic. By immersing yourself in the song’s meaning and emotions, you can better channel them through your own singing.
Vocal Technique: Breath Control and Dynamics
A standout feature of “Royals” is Lorde’s exceptional breath control and dynamic range. To achieve a similar effect, it’s crucial to focus on breath support and control. Singing Carrots’ Breath Support article provides valuable insights and exercises to develop optimal breathing techniques for singing.
Another essential aspect of singing “Royals” is mastering dynamics. Lorde utilizes a delicate balance of soft and powerful moments throughout the song, creating a captivating performance. Singing Carrots’ Articulation article offers techniques to articulate your words effectively and deliver the message of the song with clarity and emotion.
Practical Steps to Learn “Royals”
Here are practical steps to help you learn and master “Royals” by Lorde:
- Listen to the original song numerous times to familiarize yourself with the melody, lyrics, and Lorde’s unique vocal style.
- Practice vocal warm-ups and exercises using Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training – Educational Singing Game tool to improve your pitch accuracy and vocal agility.
- Start by learning the melody and phrasing of “Royals” in sections. Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor tool can help you visualize the notes as you sing, ensuring accuracy.
- Pay close attention to breath control and dynamics while singing the song. Practice the techniques outlined in Singing Carrots’ breath support and articulation articles mentioned earlier.
- Record yourself singing to assess your progress and identify areas for improvement. This will also help you capture your unique interpretation of the song.
Similar Techniques and Other Songs
The unique vocal technique used in “Royals” by Lorde can be found in several other popular songs. Here are a few notable examples:
- Billie Eilish’s “Bad Guy” showcases a similar breathy vocal style and intentional use of dynamics.
- Adèle’s “Someone Like You” demonstrates the power of controlled breath and emotional delivery.
- Amy Winehouse’s “Rehab” exemplifies the blending of soulful vocals with unique phrasing and dynamics.
By listening to and studying these songs, you can gain further insight into the vocal techniques used in “Royals” and expand your vocal repertoire.
Remember, learning a song involves practice, dedication, and a willingness to experiment with your voice. Utilize the resources provided by Singing Carrots, such as the vocal range test, pitch accuracy test, and educational singing course, to improve your overall vocal skills and enhance your performance of “Royals” and other songs.