How to Learn Singing “She’s So High” by Blur
If you’re a fan of the band Blur and want to learn how to sing one of their popular songs, “She’s So High,” you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will break down the process of learning and performing this song, including highlighting the unique vocal technique used and providing practical advice along the way.
Understanding the Song
“She’s So High” is a catchy pop-rock song by Blur, released in 1990. The song showcases lead vocalist Damon Albarn’s unique vocal style, characterized by a smooth and melodic tone. One notable aspect of this song is Albarn’s use of falsetto, a vocal technique where singers produce high-pitched notes with a light and breathy quality.
Step 1: Analyze Your Voice
Before diving into learning the song, it’s essential to analyze your voice and understand your vocal range. Singing Carrots offers a Vocal Range Test that can help you determine your vocal capabilities and compare them with famous singers.
Step 2: Learn Vocal Techniques
Before attempting to sing “She’s So High,” familiarize yourself with some key vocal techniques used in the song:
- Twang Exercise: Twang is a vocal technique that adds brightness and resonance to your voice.
- Articulation: Improve your clarity and diction by practicing specific articulation exercises.
- Vibrato Technique: Vibrato adds a subtle and pleasing variation in pitch, enhancing the emotions in your singing.
Step 3: Warm-up and Vocal Exercises
Proper warm-up exercises are essential to prepare your voice for singing. Singing Carrots offers a Farinelli Breathing Exercise, which helps improve breath control and support.
Additionally, you can use the Pitch Training tool to practice pitch accuracy and work on your vocal agility.
Step 4: Learn the Song
Once you’ve warmed up and practiced the necessary vocal techniques, it’s time to learn “She’s So High” by Blur. Here are a few tips:
- Start by listening to the original song multiple times to familiarize yourself with the melody and lyrics.
- Break down the song into smaller sections and practice each section separately.
- Focus on mimicking Damon Albarn’s smooth and melodic delivery, paying attention to his use of falsetto in the chorus.
- Use Singing Carrots’ Song Search feature to find similar songs in terms of vocal technique and style, which can help you expand your repertoire.
Step 5: Monitor Your Progress
Throughout your journey of learning “She’s So High,” it’s important to monitor your progress. Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor tool can visually display your sung notes on a virtual piano, helping you track your improvement and make necessary adjustments.
Learning to sing “She’s So High” by Blur can be an exciting and rewarding experience. By analyzing your voice, learning vocal techniques, warming up effectively, and using the right resources, such as Singing Carrots’ tools and exercises, you’ll be on your way to mastering this song and expanding your singing skills. Enjoy the journey!