Learning to Sing “Shine” by John Legend
Are you a fan of John Legend and want to learn how to sing his song “Shine”? You’ve come to the right place! In this article, we will break down the unique vocal technique used in the song and provide practical advice on how to learn and master it. Let’s get started!
Vocal Technique: Belting
One of the standout vocal techniques used in “Shine” is belting. Belting is a powerful singing technique that allows singers to project their voice with strength and intensity. John Legend demonstrates his impressive belting skills throughout the song, creating an impactful and emotional performance.
To learn how to belt like John Legend, it’s essential to develop proper breath support and control. Check out the Singing Carrots resource on breath support to understand the foundation of belting. It’s also crucial to warm up your voice before attempting belting exercises. Try the Sustain Vocal exercise to strengthen your vocal muscles and improve your overall vocal control.
Other Popular Songs with Belting
Belting is a widely used vocal technique in various genres of music. Here are a few popular songs by other artists that showcase this technique:
- “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele
- “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- “Don’t Stop Believin'” by Journey
- “All I Ask” by Bruno Mars
Applying the Technique to “Shine”
Now, let’s discuss how to apply the belting technique to singing “Shine” by John Legend.
- Warm Up: Before attempting to sing “Shine,” warm up your voice with vocal exercises. You can try the 3 Minute Warm Up exercise provided by Singing Carrots to prepare your voice for the song.
- Practice the Melody: Familiarize yourself with the melody of “Shine” by listening to the original recording. Sing along while paying attention to John Legend’s vocal style and his use of belting. Start by singing at a comfortable volume and gradually increase the power and intensity as you get more comfortable with the song.
- Analyze the Song: Use Singing Carrots’ article on how to analyze your voice to identify the vocal range and key areas of the song that require belting. Pay attention to specific lyrical moments where you want to emphasize your vocal power.
- Record and Evaluate: Practice singing “Shine” while recording yourself. Listen back to your recordings and analyze your performance. Focus on areas that need improvement, such as breath support, pitch accuracy, and emotional delivery. Use the Singing Carrots Pitch Accuracy Test to assess your pitch accuracy.
- Seek Feedback and Guidance: If possible, seek feedback from a vocal coach or experienced singer. They can provide valuable insights and guidance to help you refine your belting technique in “Shine” and other songs.
Singing Carrots Resources for Learning
Singing Carrots offers a variety of resources to support your singing journey:
- Vocal range test: Determine your vocal range and compare it with famous singers.
- Pitch accuracy test: Assess your pitch accuracy while singing simple melodies.
- Vocal Pitch Monitor: Visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano.
- Pitch Training – Educational Singing Game: Learn to sing in tune through fun and interactive games.
- Search songs by vocal range: Find songs that suit your vocal range.
- Vocal ranges of famous singers: Explore the vocal ranges of renowned singers for inspiration.
- Educational singing course: Enroll in a comprehensive singing course to improve your overall vocal skills.