How to Learn Singing “Skyscraper” by Demi Lovato
Learning to sing a particular song requires attention to detail and understanding of the unique vocal techniques involved. In this article, we will explore how to effectively learn and sing “Skyscraper” by Demi Lovato, and highlight the vocal technique used in this powerful ballad.
The Vocal Technique in “Skyscraper”
“Skyscraper” showcases Demi Lovato’s powerful voice and her ability to convey deep emotion through her singing. One of the key vocal techniques used in this song is belting. Belting is a technique where singers use their chest voice in the higher register to produce a strong, resonant sound.
Belting in “Skyscraper” is particularly prominent in the chorus, where Demi Lovato reaches higher notes with a powerful and intense sound. It requires good breath support and control to sustain the high notes and deliver the emotional impact of the song.
Practical Tips for Learning “Skyscraper”
To effectively learn and sing “Skyscraper,” consider the following practical tips:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before attempting to sing “Skyscraper,” it’s helpful to analyze your vocal range and determine if the song suits your voice. You can take the Vocal Range Test on Singing Carrots to assess your vocal capabilities.
- Work on Breathing Techniques: Breath support is crucial for belting and sustaining high notes. Practice breathing exercises to improve your breath control and stamina.
- Warm Up: Before singing “Skyscraper,” warm up your voice by humming or doing vocal exercises. Singing Carrots offers a Pitch Training program that includes warm-ups and exercises for range and agility.
- Listen and Study: Listen to the original recording of “Skyscraper” by Demi Lovato and pay attention to her vocal technique. Study her phrasing, dynamics, and emotional delivery. This will help you understand the song better and incorporate similar techniques into your own performance.
- Practice with “Skyscraper” Karaoke: Singing Carrots offers a song search feature where you can find karaoke versions of popular songs, including “Skyscraper.” Practice singing along with the karaoke track to improve your timing and accuracy.
- Record and Evaluate: Record yourself singing “Skyscraper” and listen back to identify areas for improvement. Pay attention to pitch accuracy, breath control, and emotional expression.
- Seek Professional Guidance: If you’re serious about mastering “Skyscraper” or any other song, consider enrolling in a singing course that provides structured lessons and guidance from experienced vocal instructors.
Other Songs that Use Belting Technique
The belting technique used in “Skyscraper” is also common in other popular songs. Some examples include:
- “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele
- “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- “Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson
By studying and practicing songs that utilize belting, you can further develop your vocal abilities and expand your repertoire.
Learning to sing “Skyscraper” can be a challenging but rewarding experience. With the right techniques, practice, and resources available on Singing Carrots, you can master this beautiful ballad and gain confidence in your singing abilities.
So go ahead, explore your vocal range with the Vocal Range Test and start your journey to becoming a skilled singer.