How to Learn Singing Rihanna’s “S&M”
Are you a fan of Rihanna and want to learn how to sing her hit song “S&M”? Look no further! In this article, we will guide you through the process of learning and mastering this unique and catchy song. We will also highlight the vocal technique used by Rihanna in this song and mention other popular songs that utilize a similar technique. Let’s dive in!
The Vocal Technique: Belting
One of the standout vocal techniques used by Rihanna in “S&M” is belting. Belting is a powerful singing technique that requires a strong and supported voice. It involves singing with a bright, powerful sound in the higher part of your range. Belting adds intensity and emotional impact to a song, making it perfect for energetic and catchy pop tunes like “S&M”.
Practical Steps to Learn “S&M”
Learning a song like “S&M” requires a systematic approach. Here are some practical steps you can follow:
- Analyze Your Voice: Understanding your voice is crucial for singing any song. Take the vocal range test on Singing Carrots to determine your vocal range. This will help you identify the parts of the song that suit your voice the best. You can find the vocal range test here.
- Warm Up: Begin your practice session with a warm-up routine to prepare your voice. Singing Carrots offers a pitch training program that includes vocal warm-ups and exercises to improve your range and agility. You can access the pitch training program here.
- Listen and Study: Listen to Rihanna’s original recording of “S&M” multiple times to familiarize yourself with the song structure, melody, and overall style. Pay attention to how Rihanna uses belting technique in certain parts of the song.
- Break it Down: Divide the song into smaller sections and practice each section separately. Use the vocal pitch monitor tool on Singing Carrots to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This will help you stay on pitch and improve your accuracy. You can access the vocal pitch monitor here.
- Work on Technique: Focus on mastering the belting technique used in “S&M”. Singing Carrots offers resources on contemporary vocal techniques, including belting. You can find more information on contemporary vocal techniques here.
- Practice with Backing Tracks: Once you have learned the song sections and feel comfortable with the technique, practice singing along with backing tracks. Singing Carrots offers a song search feature that allows you to find songs matching your vocal range and difficulty. You can search for songs here.
- Monitor Your Progress: Use the progress statistics feature on Singing Carrots to track your improvement. This will help you stay motivated and see how far you’ve come in mastering “S&M”.
- Perform and Enjoy: Once you feel confident in your rendition of “S&M”, it’s time to showcase your talent! Feel the music, express yourself, and enjoy the song’s energetic vibe.
Other Songs to Explore
Belting technique is widely used in various pop songs. Here are a few examples:
- “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele
- “Roar” by Katy Perry
- “Fighter” by Christina Aguilera
By learning and mastering “S&M”, you’ll not only expand your vocal abilities but also gain a deeper understanding of belting as a powerful vocal technique. Remember to practice regularly, use the resources provided by Singing Carrots, and have fun along the way. Happy singing!