Learning How to Sing Mariah Carey’s “Someday”
Mariah Carey’s iconic song “Someday” is a vocal powerhouse that showcases her incredible range, agility, and emotive delivery. Learning how to sing this song can be a challenging yet rewarding experience for aspiring singers. In this article, we will break down the unique vocal techniques used in “Someday,” provide practical advice, and recommend relevant resources from Singing Carrots to help you learn and master this song.
The Unique Vocal Technique in “Someday”
One of the standout elements in Mariah Carey’s performance of “Someday” is her impressive use of melisma. Melisma refers to the technique of smoothly singing multiple musical notes within a single syllable. In “Someday,” Mariah Carey expertly employs melisma to add flair and expressiveness to the song. This technique allows her to embellish and decorate the melodic lines, showcasing her vocal dexterity.
Melisma is also commonly used in other popular songs by Mariah Carey, such as “Emotions” and “Vision of Love.” If you’re interested in exploring melismatic singing further, Singing Carrots offers a comprehensive singing course that covers various vocal techniques, including melisma.
Practical Advice for Learning “Someday”
To effectively learn and sing “Someday,” follow these practical tips and utilize the resources provided by Singing Carrots:
- Start with the basics: Before attempting the song, it’s crucial to have a solid understanding of vocal techniques such as breath support, vocal registers, and pitch accuracy. Singing Carrots offers a pitch training game and a pitch accuracy test to help you improve in these areas.
- Analyze your voice: Understanding your vocal range and voice type is essential when tackling a challenging song like “Someday.” Take the vocal range test provided by Singing Carrots to determine your vocal range and compare it with famous singers, including Mariah Carey.
- Study the song structure: Break down the song into sections, paying attention to the melody, lyrics, and dynamics. Singing Carrots’ article on how to learn a song effectively provides valuable insights and techniques to help you memorize and interpret the song better.
- Embrace proper breathing: Breath support is vital for sustaining long phrases and hitting challenging high notes. Singing Carrots offers articles on breathing basics and breath support to help you improve your breathing technique.
- Focus on vocal control: Mariah Carey’s precise vocal control shines through in “Someday.” Practice exercises that target specific vocal techniques, such as melisma, twang, vibrato, and articulation. Singing Carrots provides videos on various vocal exercises, including how to twang, how to create vibrato, and articulation techniques.
- Seek inspiration from Mariah Carey’s performances: Watch live performances and recordings of Mariah Carey singing “Someday” to gain insight into her vocal techniques, stage presence, and emotional delivery. Singing Carrots’ article on singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking can further guide you in expressing the emotions of the song.