How to Learn Singing “Strange Birds” by Birdy
Learning to sing a specific song can be both a rewarding and challenging experience. In this article, we will explore how to learn singing “Strange Birds” by Birdy, a beautiful and haunting song that showcases Birdy’s unique vocal technique and emotional depth.
Vocal Technique in “Strange Birds”
“Strange Birds” is known for its ethereal and emotive vocal performance. Birdy utilizes a delicate mix of head voice and falsetto to create a haunting atmosphere that perfectly matches the song’s lyrical themes. The song also requires a controlled vibrato to add depth and expression to the vocals.
To master this vocal technique, it’s important to work on breath control, vocal agility, and resonance. Singers can enhance their vocal skills by practicing exercises that focus on these aspects:
1. Twang exercise – Twang is a vocal technique that helps singers achieve a brighter and more focused sound. This exercise will strengthen your vocal cords and improve your overall vocal projection.
2. Vibrato exercises – Developing a controlled vibrato is essential for singing songs like “Strange Birds.” These exercises will help you gain control over your vocal muscles and produce a smooth and controlled vibrato.
3. Mixed Voice exercises – Learning to transition smoothly between chest voice and head voice is crucial for mastering the unique vocal technique in “Strange Birds.” These exercises will help you develop a seamless transition between different vocal registers.
Practical Steps to Learn “Strange Birds”
To effectively learn singing “Strange Birds,” follow these practical steps:
1. Research Birdy’s Vocal Technique: Familiarize yourself with Birdy’s style and the unique vocal techniques she uses in her songs. This will help you understand the nuances of “Strange Birds” and how to approach its vocal delivery.
2. Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, analyze your vocal range and identify any areas that may need improvement. Singing Carrots’ Vocal Range Test will help you determine your vocal range and compare it with Birdy’s range.
3. Break Down the Song: Break down “Strange Birds” into smaller sections and practice each section separately. This will help you master the intricate vocal technique and emotional nuances of the song.
4. Warm Up Your Voice: Before singing “Strange Birds,” warm up your voice with vocal exercises like humming, breath control, and articulation. This will prepare your vocal cords and ensure a smoother vocal performance.
5. Practice with Similar Songs: To further enhance your understanding of Birdy’s vocal technique, practice singing other songs that utilize similar vocal techniques. Songs like “Skinny Love” and “People Help the People” are good examples to start with.
6. Work on Pitch Accuracy: “Strange Birds” requires precise pitch control. Singing Carrots’ Pitch Accuracy Test will help you improve your pitch accuracy and ensure that you hit the right notes with precision.
7. Utilize the Vocal Pitch Monitor: Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor is a valuable tool to visually track your sung notes on a virtual piano. It will help you refine your technique and ensure accuracy while singing “Strange Birds.”
Learning to sing “Strange Birds” by Birdy can be an enchanting journey. By understanding Birdy’s style and honing your vocal technique, you can capture the haunting beauty of this song. Remember to practice consistently, analyze your voice, and utilize resources like Singing Carrots to enhance your learning experience. Happy singing!