Learn to Sing “Sussudio” by Phil Collins
In this article, we will guide you on how to learn to sing “Sussudio” by Phil Collins. This iconic song, released in 1985, is known for its catchy melody and energetic vocals. To master this song, you’ll need to focus on a few key aspects: vocal technique, breath control, and expression. Let’s dive in!
The Unique Vocal Technique of “Sussudio”
“Sussudio” showcases Phil Collins’ signature vocal style, characterized by a combination of smooth phrasing and powerful delivery. One notable aspect of this song is Collins’ use of chest voice, which gives it a rich and soulful sound. To effectively sing “Sussudio,” it’s crucial to practice and master chest voice technique.
Chest voice is the lower register of your voice, where you feel the vibrations in your chest. To develop your chest voice, try the Chest Voice Explained exercise from the Singing Carrots video library. This exercise will help you strengthen and control your chest voice, enabling you to hit those powerful notes in “Sussudio.”
Practical Tips for Learning the Song
Here are some practical tips to guide you in learning “Sussudio” effectively:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, it’s essential to understand your vocal range and voice type. Take the Vocal Range Test on Singing Carrots to determine your range and compare it with famous singers.
- Listen and Observe: Start by listening to the original song multiple times. Pay attention to how Phil Collins phrases the lyrics, where he takes breaths, and how he expresses emotions. This will help you develop your interpretation of the song.
- Warm-Up and Practice: Prioritize warming up your voice before practicing “Sussudio.” Singing Carrots offers a comprehensive Pitch Training program, which includes vocal warm-ups and exercises specifically designed to improve your pitch accuracy and vocal agility.
- Work on Breath Control: To deliver a powerful and consistent performance, mastering breath control is crucial. Check out Singing Carrots’ article on Breath Support to learn effective breathing techniques for singers.
- Open Mouth and Throat: Singing with proper mouth and throat position is essential for clear pronunciation and resonance. Learn why this is important in the article on Open Mouth & Throat by Singing Carrots.
- Articulation: Pay attention to your articulation while singing “Sussudio.” Singing Carrots’ article on Articulation provides helpful tips for perfecting your pronunciation and enunciation.
Other Songs with a Similar Vocal Technique
The unique vocal technique used in “Sussudio” by Phil Collins can be found in other popular songs as well. Some examples include:
- “Another Day in Paradise” by Phil Collins
- “Easy Lover” by Phil Collins and Philip Bailey
- “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)” by Phil Collins
Exploring these songs will give you a broader understanding of how this vocal technique is applied in different musical contexts.
Enjoy your journey of learning and singing “Sussudio” by Phil Collins. Remember to have fun, practice regularly, and make use of the resources provided by Singing Carrots to enhance your singing skills!