How to Learn Singing “The Diary of Jane” by Breaking Benjamin
If you’re a fan of Breaking Benjamin and want to learn how to sing their iconic song “The Diary of Jane,” you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of learning and mastering this popular track.
Understanding the Vocal Technique
“The Diary of Jane” showcases the powerful and emotive vocal style that Breaking Benjamin is known for. To emulate this technique, it’s important to focus on two key aspects:
- Dynamic control: The song requires the ability to smoothly transition between soft and powerful vocals. Practice modulating your voice to match the intensity of each section.
- Emotional delivery: Breaking Benjamin’s music is renowned for its emotional depth. To do justice to “The Diary of Jane,” strive to convey the raw emotions embedded in the lyrics.
To hone these skills, Singing Carrots offers resources that can help you develop the necessary vocal techniques. The following exercises and articles are especially relevant:
- Contemporary vocal techniques: Heavy modal, Twang, Belting – Learn about the vocal techniques often employed in alternative rock music, including Breaking Benjamin’s style.
- Singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking – Discover how to infuse your singing with emotion and connect with the song on a deeper level.
- How to Twang Exercise – Twanging is a technique commonly used in rock vocals. This exercise video will help you develop that skill.
- Beggars Bounce and Diaphragm Bounce – These videos demonstrate exercises that promote vibrato, which can add depth to your performance.
- Voice Break and Mixed Voice – Learn about voice registers and how to navigate the vocal break, an important aspect of this song.
Effective Song Learning Techniques
Learning a new song requires practice and a systematic approach. Here are some effective strategies to help you learn “The Diary of Jane” efficiently:
- Analyze the song: Before diving into singing, take the time to analyze the song’s structure, melody, and lyrics. This understanding will help you grasp the nuances and deliver a more authentic performance. Check out How to analyze your voice for tips on song analysis.
- Warm up your voice: Proper warm-up exercises are crucial to prepare your voice for singing. Consider using Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training tool or try the 3 Minute Warm Up video for a quick warm-up routine.
- Practice phrase by phrase: Break the song into smaller phrases and master them individually before putting them together. Use Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor to ensure you hit the right notes.
- Work on breath control: “The Diary of Jane” demands control over your breath. Explore Singing Carrots’ resources on breathing basics and breath support to improve your breath control.