How to Learn Singing “Then He Kissed Me” by The Crystals
Learning to sing a new song can be an exciting and challenging experience. In this article, we will explore how to learn singing “Then He Kissed Me” by The Crystals. This iconic song from the 1960s showcases a unique vocal technique known as the “wall of sound” technique, famously used by producer Phil Spector. We will delve into the key elements of this song, provide practical advice, and highlight relevant resources from Singing Carrots to help you master this classic hit.
Analyzing Your Voice: Vocal Range and Type
Before diving into learning the song, it’s essential to understand your vocal range and voice type. Take the Singing Carrots vocal range test to determine your range. This will give you valuable insights into the notes you can comfortably sing and help you tailor the song to fit your voice.
Understanding the “Wall of Sound” Technique
“Then He Kissed Me” is known for its beautiful orchestration and the “wall of sound” production technique. This technique involves layering multiple instruments and vocal tracks to create a rich and powerful sound. It would be helpful to familiarize yourself with this technique by listening to other songs produced by Phil Spector, such as “Be My Baby” by The Ronettes, and “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin'” by The Righteous Brothers.
Breathing and Vocal Technique
Mastering proper breathing and vocal technique is crucial for singing any song effectively. Review the Singing Carrots articles on breathing basics, voice registers and vocal break, and breath support. These articles provide valuable insights and exercises to strengthen your vocal abilities.
Learning the Song
Once you have a solid foundation in vocal technique, it’s time to start learning “Then He Kissed Me.” Follow these steps to make the learning process more effective:
- Listen and familiarize yourself: Listen to the original song by The Crystals multiple times to familiarize yourself with the melody, lyrics, and the overall feel of the song. Pay attention to the dynamics, phrasing, and vocal nuances.
- Break it down: Divide the song into manageable sections and learn them one at a time. Start with the verses, chorus, and any other distinct sections. Focus on the melody, rhythm, and lyrics of each section separately before putting them all together.
- Practice with pitch accuracy: Use the Singing Carrots pitch accuracy test to assess your pitch accuracy. Sing along with the song and identify areas where you might need to work on your pitch.
- Use the Vocal Pitch Monitor: The Singing Carrots Vocal Pitch Monitor is a valuable tool to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. Practice singing the song while keeping an eye on the monitor to ensure you are hitting the right notes.
- Pitch training and warm-ups: Incorporate Singing Carrots’ pitch training exercises and vocal warm-ups into your practice routine. These exercises will help improve your pitch accuracy, range, and agility, essential elements for singing “Then He Kissed Me” beautifully.
Finding Performance Set and Progress Monitoring
As you progress with learning and practicing “Then He Kissed Me,” you may want to build your performance set. Singing Carrots’ song search feature will help you find songs that match your vocal range. Additionally, check out the Singing Carrots’ article on how to learn a song effectively for more tips and resources.