How to Learn Singing Avicii’s “Wake Me Up”
If you’re a fan of Avicii’s iconic hit “Wake Me Up” and want to learn how to sing it, this article is for you. “Wake Me Up” is a unique blend of folk, electronic, and soul genres, making it a challenging and interesting song to master. In this guide, we’ll break down the song, offer practical advice, and provide resources from Singing Carrots to help you learn and improve your vocal skills.
Understanding the Song
Before diving into the technical aspects, it’s essential to understand the emotional depth of “Wake Me Up.” The song combines uplifting melodies with introspective lyrics that express the search for purpose and identity. This emotional journey is what drives the vocal performance, making it crucial to connect with the song on a personal level.
Unique Vocal Technique: Belting
In “Wake Me Up,” one of the standout vocal techniques used is belting. Belting is a powerful and intense singing technique. It involves singing in your chest voice while maintaining a full and resonant sound. Avicii’s use of belting brings an element of raw emotion and energy to the song.
Connecting with Other Songs
Belting is a technique not limited to “Wake Me Up.” It is commonly used in various other popular songs across different genres. Some notable examples include:
Here are some practical tips to help you learn and improve your singing of “Wake Me Up”:
- Start with Vocal Warm-ups: Before attempting any song, warm up your voice with exercises like the How to Twang Exercise or the Humming Exercise. These exercises will help you prepare your vocal cords and improve your vocal technique.
- Focus on Breath Support: Belting requires good breath support. Practice exercises like the Farinelli Breathing Exercise to strengthen your breath control and support.
- Study the Original Performance: Listen to Avicii’s original recording of “Wake Me Up” and pay attention to his phrasing, tone, and dynamics. Try to emulate his style while also adding your personal touch.
- Work on Vocal Range and Pitch Accuracy: Use Singing Carrots’ Vocal Range Test to determine your vocal range and the Pitch Accuracy Test to evaluate your pitch accuracy. These tools will help you identify areas where you can improve.
- Practice with the Vocal Pitch Monitor: Sing along to the instrumental track of “Wake Me Up” using Singing Carrots’ Vocal Pitch Monitor. This tool provides real-time visualization of your sung notes on a virtual piano, helping you stay on pitch and improve your accuracy.
Singing Carrots Resources
Take advantage of the following Singing Carrots resources to enhance your learning experience:
- Search songs by vocal range: Find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preference. This will help you discover more songs to practice and expand your repertoire.
- Pitch Training – Educational Singing Game: Improve your pitch accuracy and ear training through fun and interactive exercises.