How to Learn Singing “We Belong” by Pat Benatar
If you’re a fan of Pat Benatar and want to learn how to sing her iconic song “We Belong,” you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll break down the unique vocal technique used in the song and provide practical advice to help you master it. Additionally, we’ll mention other popular songs that utilize similar vocal techniques. Let’s get started!
The Unique Vocal Technique in “We Belong”
“We Belong” is known for its powerful and emotive vocal performance. One technique that stands out in this song is the use of belting. Belting is a singing technique where the singer produces a loud, full, and resonant sound in their chest voice. This technique adds a sense of passion and intensity to the vocals, allowing the singer to convey strong emotions effectively.
Pat Benatar’s performance in “We Belong” showcases her impressive belting skills. To learn how to belt like her, follow these steps:
- Test your vocal range to ensure that you’re comfortable singing the song within your vocal range. This will help you avoid unnecessary strain on your voice.
- Warm up your voice properly. Start with some breathing exercises to engage your diaphragm and improve breath control. Pitch Training – Educational Singing Game is a great tool to help you with your warm-up exercises.
- Pay attention to your posture. Stand up straight with your shoulders relaxed and your chin slightly lifted. Good posture allows for optimal airflow and improves your vocal projection.
- Focus on proper breath support. Use your diaphragm to control your breath and sustain your notes. Breath support is essential for achieving powerful belting.
- Open your mouth and throat wide while singing. This allows for a clearer and more resonant sound. Check out this article on opening your mouth and throat while singing for more tips.
- Practice the song section by section, paying attention to the dynamics and emotional nuances. Pat Benatar’s performance is characterized by her ability to convey the lyrics with raw emotion.
Other Songs with a Similar Vocal Technique
The belting technique used in “We Belong” is also present in other popular songs. Here are a few examples:
- “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler
- “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- “Don’t Stop Believin'” by Journey
If you want to explore more songs that utilize belting, you can use the Singing Carrots song search tool to find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preferences.
Remember, mastering the belting technique takes time and practice. Be patient with yourself and enjoy the process of learning and improving your singing skills. Singing Carrots offers a range of resources, including the educational singing course, to support your journey as a singer.
So, go ahead, start practicing, and soon you’ll be able to sing “We Belong” with confidence and skill, just like Pat Benatar!