How to Learn Singing “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong
Learning to sing a song like “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong can be an enriching experience for any singer. It is a classic song that carries profound lyrics and a beautiful melody.
Understanding the Unique Vocal Technique
One of the unique vocal techniques used in this song is Louis Armstrong’s signature raspy, gravelly tone. This technique, often referred to as “vocal distortion,” adds a distinctive and emotional quality to his singing. It creates a raw and heartfelt sound that captures the essence of the song.
This vocal technique is not limited to Louis Armstrong alone. It has been used by various artists in different genres to convey intense emotions. Some popular songs that utilize vocal distortion include “Jolene” by Dolly Parton and “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith.
Practical Steps to Learn the Song
- Start by listening to the original recording of “What a Wonderful World” to familiarize yourself with the melody, lyrics, and Louis Armstrong’s unique vocal style.
- Study the lyrics of the song and analyze its meaning. Understanding the story and emotions behind the lyrics will help you connect with the song on a deeper level.
- Practice the vocal technique of vocal distortion. Sing along with Louis Armstrong’s recording, mimicking his raspy tone. Experiment with different levels of vocal distortion to find a balance that suits your voice.
- Work on your breath support and control. The song requires sustained and controlled singing, so focus on strengthening your diaphragmatic breathing and maintaining consistent airflow.
- Use Singing Carrots’ resources to improve your singing technique. Take the Vocal Range Test to determine your vocal range and compare it with famous singers. This will help you understand your voice better.
- Take the Pitch Accuracy Test to assess your pitch accuracy and identify areas for improvement.
- Utilize the Vocal Pitch Monitor to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. This tool will assist you in refining your pitch.
- Engage in the Pitch Training exercises provided by Singing Carrots. These interactive vocal warm-ups and exercises will enhance your range, agility, and pitch control.
- Search for songs that match your vocal range, difficulty level, and genre preferences using the Song Search feature. This will help you expand your repertoire.
- Explore the vocal ranges of famous singers to gain inspiration and insight into different vocal techniques.
- Consider enrolling in the comprehensive Educational Singing Course offered by Singing Carrots. This 21-lesson program covers singing theory and provides practical tips for singers of all levels.
Learning to sing “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong is an incredible journey that allows you to explore unique vocal techniques and connect with the emotional depth of the song. By incorporating practical advice and utilizing the resources provided by Singing Carrots, you can enhance your singing abilities and develop a profound connection with this timeless masterpiece.
Singing is not just about hitting the right notes; it’s about expressing emotions and telling a story. So, embrace your own unique voice, practice diligently, and let the world hear your rendition of “What a Wonderful World.”