Learning to Sing “What You Want” from Legally Blonde: The Musical
Are you a fan of musical theater and eager to learn how to sing a popular song from “Legally Blonde: The Musical”? Look no further than “What You Want”! This energetic and empowering song is a standout number in the show, and learning to sing it will not only be a fun challenge but also an opportunity to showcase your vocal skills. In this article, we will guide you through the process of learning the song, highlighting its unique vocal technique, and providing practical advice along the way.
Understanding the Song and Vocal Technique
“What You Want” is a dynamic and powerful song that showcases the range and versatility of a singer’s voice. One of the unique vocal techniques used in this song is belting. Belting is a vocal technique where a singer uses their chest voice to produce a strong, powerful sound in the higher registers. It creates a bold and assertive tone that perfectly captures the song’s spirit.
Belting is a popular vocal technique used in many musical theater songs, and “What You Want” is no exception. Other popular songs where belting is used include “Defying Gravity” from “Wicked” and “I Will Always Love You” from “The Bodyguard.” Mastering this technique can greatly enhance your vocal abilities and help you tackle other challenging songs in the future.
Practical Tips for Learning “What You Want”
Now that you understand the vocal technique used in the song, let’s dive into some practical tips to help you learn and sing “What You Want” effectively:
- Warm up your voice: Before you start practicing the song, it’s important to warm up your voice. Singing warm-up exercises like lip trills, sirens, and scales can help you loosen up your vocal cords and prepare them for the challenges ahead. You can find a variety of vocal warm-up exercises in the Singing Carrots Pitch Training module. (Pitch Training – Educational Singing Game)
- Study the sheet music and lyrics: Familiarize yourself with the sheet music and lyrics of “What You Want.” Understanding the structure of the song and the lyrics will make it easier for you to follow along and sing with confidence. You can find the sheet music and lyrics for “What You Want” in the Singing Carrots song-book. (Start now)
- Practice with the vocal range test: Use the Singing Carrots vocal range test to determine the range of your voice and compare it with the vocal range required for “What You Want.” This will help you identify any challenging sections of the song and guide you in adjusting your vocal approach. Take the Vocal range test now. (Vocal range test)
- Work on breath support: “What You Want” demands strong breath control to sing those powerful belted notes. Practice proper breath support techniques to ensure you have enough air to sustain the long phrases and belt out the high notes. Check out the Singing Carrots article on breath support for valuable tips. (Breath support)
- Record and analyze your voice: Recording yourself while practicing can be a useful tool for self-assessment. Listen back to your recordings, identify areas that need improvement, and make necessary adjustments to your technique. The Singing Carrots article on analyzing your voice can provide guidance on how to assess your singing. (How to analyze your voice)
Resources for Further Improvement
Singing Carrots offers a range of resources that can further enhance your singing skills and help you master “What You Want” and other songs:
- Pitch accuracy test: Test and improve your pitch accuracy with the Singing Carrots Pitch Accuracy Test. This tool provides valuable feedback on your pitch and can help you fine-tune your vocal performances. (Pitch accuracy test)
- Vocal Pitch Monitor: The Vocal Pitch Monitor is a handy tool that helps singers visualize their pitch accuracy and make necessary adjustments. It can be a great aid in mastering challenging songs like “What You Want.” (Vocal Pitch Monitor)