How to Learn Singing “When You Believe” by Michelle Pfeiffer
When it comes to iconic movie songs, “When You Believe” by Michelle Pfeiffer has definitely left a lasting impact. The song, featured in the movie “The Prince of Egypt,” not only showcases Michelle Pfeiffer’s beautiful voice but also incorporates a unique vocal technique known as belting.
Belting is a powerful singing technique that allows singers to project their voice with intensity and emotion. It is often used in musical theater and pop music genres to create a dramatic impact. In “When You Believe,” Michelle Pfeiffer demonstrates her belting prowess, capturing the hearts of listeners with her soaring vocals.
Learning how to sing “When You Believe” involves understanding the fundamentals of belting and practicing specific vocal exercises. Here are some steps to help you master this beautiful song:
1. Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, it’s essential to analyze your own voice and determine your voice type. Singing Carrots provides a helpful article on voice types that can assist you in this process.
2. Warm Up: Start your practice session with warm-up exercises to prepare your voice. Singing Carrots offers a valuable breathing exercise known as the Farinelli Breathing exercise, which can help improve breath control and support.
3. Practice Your Belting Technique: Belting requires proper breath support and control. Singing Carrots has an article on breath support and an exercise to help you understand and develop this skill. Additionally, you can watch the video on chest voice and voice registers to learn more about the different vocal registers involved in belting.
4. Study Michelle Pfeiffer’s Performance: Listening to Michelle Pfeiffer’s rendition of “When You Believe” can provide valuable insights into her vocal technique and style. Pay attention to her phrasing, dynamics, and emotional expression to capture the essence of the song.
5. Song Interpretation: Dive deeper into the meaning of the lyrics and connect with the emotions conveyed in the song. Singing Carrots offers an article on singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking that can help you interpret the song effectively.
6. Vocal Warm-ups and Pitch Training: Utilize Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training tool to improve your pitch accuracy and vocal agility. This will enhance your overall singing ability and help you tackle challenging sections of the song.
7. Find Your Vocal Range: Singing Carrots’ Vocal Range Test can help you identify your vocal range and compare it to other singers. Knowing your range will assist you in choosing suitable songs that suit your voice.
In addition to these steps, Singing Carrots offers a comprehensive singing course for beginners, covering essential singing techniques and theory.
It’s important to approach learning “When You Believe” with patience and dedication. Break the song down into smaller sections and focus on mastering each part before putting it all together. Remember to take breaks and give your voice ample rest to avoid strain.
By utilizing the resources and techniques provided by Singing Carrots, you can embark on a journey to master “When You Believe” and discover your own unique singing style. Happy singing!