How to Learn Singing “When You Believe” from The Prince of Egypt
Learning to sing a particular song can be an exciting and rewarding experience. One song that has captivated audiences with its powerful message and beautiful vocals is “When You Believe” from the movie The Prince of Egypt. In this article, we will explore the unique vocal technique used in the song and provide practical advice on how to learn and master it.
Understanding the Vocal Technique
When You Believe showcases the use of powerful and emotional singing with a strong focus on control and dynamics. The song requires singers to utilize a wide vocal range, including both chest voice and belting techniques. The use of vocal resonance and vibrato also adds depth and richness to the performance.
Notable vocal techniques employed in “When You Believe” are:
- Belting: The song features moments of belted high notes, which require proper breath support and control. Belting adds intensity and emotion to the performance, helping to convey the message of hope and faith. (source)
- Dynamic Control: “When You Believe” transitions between soft, delicate sections and powerful, soaring moments. Mastering dynamic control is essential to bring out the emotional journey of the song.
- Vocal Resonance: The proper placement of the voice in the resonators can enhance the quality and projection of the sound. Focus on resonating in the nasal, oral, and pharyngeal cavities to achieve a resonant and engaging vocal tone. (source)
- Vibrato: Vibrato is a subtle and controlled oscillation of pitch, adding warmth and expressiveness to the singing. Practice incorporating vibrato into sustained notes to add beauty and emotional depth. (source)
Practical Advice to Learn the Song Effectively
Now that we have identified the unique vocal technique used in “When You Believe,” here are some practical tips to help you learn and master the song:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, take the time to analyze your voice. Singing Carrots provides a helpful article on how to analyze your voice. Understanding your vocal range and voice type will guide you in adapting the song to your abilities. (source)
- Breathing Basics: Good breath support is crucial for singing any song. Familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of proper breathing techniques by reading Singing Carrots’ article on breathing basics. This will help you maintain control and sustain notes. (source)
- Warm-Up and Practice: Dedicate time to warm up your voice before practicing the song. Singing Carrots offers a range of vocal exercises and warm-up routines in their Pitch Training section. These exercises will help improve your vocal agility, pitch accuracy, and overall technique. (source)
- Learn from Vocal Techniques Videos: Singing Carrots has curated a collection of videos specifically targeting various vocal techniques that appear in “When You Believe.” Watch and practice exercises related to techniques such as Twang, Growling, and Vibrato to improve your skills.
- Articulation and Diction: Clear articulation and diction are essential for conveying the lyrics and emotions of the song. Singing Carrots offers a comprehensive guide to articulation in singing that will help you enunciate the words effectively. (source)
Using Singing Carrots Resources
Singing Carrots provides a variety of tools and resources that can aid your journey in learning “When You Believe” and enhancing your overall singing skills: