How to Learn Singing “Who Am I?” by Rusty Goodman
“Who Am I?” by Rusty Goodman is an iconic gospel song that showcases the powerful emotion and vocal range of the singer. Learning to sing this song requires not only technical skill but also a deep connection to the lyrics and the message they convey.
Understanding the Song
Before diving into the vocal technique, it’s important to understand the song’s meaning. “Who Am I?” is a reflective song that delves into personal introspection and faith. It highlights the feelings of humility, gratitude, and awe towards God. The emotional depth of this song allows singers to connect with the audience on a profound level.
Vocal Technique: Belting
“Who Am I?” is known for its powerful belting sections, which give the song its distinctive and impactful sound. Belting is a vocal technique that involves singing with a strong chest voice, emphasizing power and intensity. It requires proper breath support, control, and resonance.
To master the belting technique in this song, it’s essential to work on breath support and control. The Singing Carrots Breath Support article provides valuable resources for understanding and improving breath support.
To enhance your learning experience and improve your singing skills for “Who Am I?”, Singing Carrots offers several resources that can be beneficial:
- Vocal Range Test: Determine your vocal range and compare it with famous singers. This will help you understand which parts of the song suit your voice best.
- Pitch Accuracy Test: Improve your pitch accuracy by singing along with simple melodies. This will help you hit the right notes in “Who Am I?”
- Vocal Pitch Monitor: Use this tool to visualize your sung notes on a virtual piano. It will help you refine your pitch and control.
- Pitch Training: Utilize interactive vocal warm-ups, pitch visualizer, and exercises to improve your range, agility, and pitch accuracy.
- Song Search: Find songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preference. This tool can help you discover songs similar to “Who Am I?”
- Artist Vocal Ranges: Explore the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers, including those who have sung similar songs.
- Song-book: Create your own performance set and access linked lyrics, sheet music, chords, karaoke, and YouTube audio for “Who Am I?”
- Singing Course: Enroll in Singing Carrots’ comprehensive singing course, covering singing theory and practical tips. This will help improve your overall singing skills.
As you embark on learning “Who Am I?”, here are some practical tips to keep in mind:
- Start by familiarizing yourself with the lyrics and the melody. Listen to the song multiple times to understand its structure and emotional nuances.
- Pay attention to Rusty Goodman’s vocal style and delivery. Observe how he uses dynamics, phrasing, and emotional expression to convey the meaning of the song.
- Warm up your voice before practicing. Singing Carrots’ 3 Minute Warm Up video is a great resource for effective warm-up exercises.
- Work on your breath support and control, using the Singing Carrots Breath Support article as a guide.
- Utilize the various Singing Carrots resources mentioned above to enhance your vocal technique, pitch accuracy, and overall singing skills.