How to Learn Singing “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin
Learning to sing a particular song can be a rewarding experience, especially when it’s a timeless classic like “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin. In this article, we will explore the unique vocal techniques used in the song and provide practical tips on how to master it. Additionally, we will highlight other popular songs that feature similar vocal techniques.
Understanding the Vocal Technique
“(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” showcases Aretha Franklin’s powerful and soulful voice. One key vocal technique that she utilizes throughout the song is the use of melismatic singing. Melisma refers to the technique of singing multiple notes on a single syllable. Aretha Franklin’s masterful execution of melismatic singing adds emotional depth and richness to the song.
This vocal technique can also be found in other iconic songs such as “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston and “Without You” by Mariah Carey. By listening to these songs and paying attention to how the artists use melisma, you can gain inspiration and insights into incorporating this technique into your own rendition of “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.”
Practical Tips for Learning the Song
Now that we’ve discussed the vocal technique used in the song, let’s dive into some practical tips to help you learn and sing “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” with confidence:
- Analyze Your Voice: Before diving into the song, take the time to analyze your vocal range using Singing Carrots’ Vocal Range Test. This will help you determine the best key to sing the song in and ensure that you don’t strain your voice.
- Breathing and Breath Support: Practice breathing exercises mentioned in our article on breath support. Proper breath control is crucial for delivering powerful and sustained notes throughout the song.
- Pitch Accuracy: Use Singing Carrots’ Pitch Accuracy Test to improve your pitch accuracy. This will help you hit the right notes and stay in tune throughout the song.
- Vocal Warm-ups: Warm up your voice with vocal exercises and warm-ups from Singing Carrots’ Pitch Training tool. This will help you prepare your vocal cords and achieve better control over your voice.
- Embrace the Soulful Style: “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” is a soulful song, so channel your emotions and connect with the lyrics. Sing with passion and authenticity, allowing the emotion in your voice to shine through.
- Study Aretha Franklin’s Performance: Watch live performances or recordings of Aretha Franklin singing the song to gain insights into her interpretation and vocal style. Pay attention to her phrasing, dynamics, and expression to inspire your own rendition.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: Dedicate regular practice sessions to learning and perfecting the song. Start slowly, section by section, and gradually build up to singing the entire song. Focus on articulation, proper vowel placement, and maintaining consistent breath support.
Remember, learning a song is a journey, and it takes time and effort to master it. Stay persistent, be patient with yourself, and celebrate small victories along the way. Enjoy the process of discovering your own unique interpretation of “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.”
By following these practical tips and incorporating the resources provided by Singing Carrots, you’ll be well-equipped to learn and master “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin. Happy singing!